News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anyone using the Obi200+Google Voice with the Tenda AC18 router?

Started by Rick1441, December 07, 2018, 12:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick1441

The Obi200 + Google Voice worked fine with my with my old TP-Link WR941ND router.  But to my surprise I just could not get it to work properly with the Tenda AC18 AC1900 router I bought, so I am returning the Tenda despite its impressive, consistent 5g performance (especially for a product I bought on one-day sale for $50).

Fyi, the the problem was that incoming calls would often not ring the Obi; the caller would hear ringing tomes, and then my Google Voice greeting.  In testing, I could always fix the problem temporarily by either power-cycling the Obi or making an outbound call with it.  But then the issue would promptly return, usually within 2-6 hours.  In all other respects the Obi worked fine with the Tenda.  Since I have switched back to the old TP-Link, there have been zero issues.

While I provided that background, my purpose in posting here isn't to seek advice on how to make it work.  I spent 2 days troubleshooting, and I am convinced the problem is not resolvable -- at least with the unit I received (although I do wish I had checked to see if the affected calls were logged in the Obi web interface).  Instead, as the Subject says, I just want to know if anyone is successfully using the Obi200+Google Voice with the Tenda AC18.  If so, perhaps there is some defect in the Tenda unit I received, and I should try another unit of the same router.  Conversely, if someone else had the same problem with that router, I'd appreciate hearing the confirmation.  Thanks.

azrobert

Did you try disabling SIP ALG in the router? ALG enabled can cause strange behavior.

Rick1441

The Tenda AC18's settings don't include an SIP-ALG option.  But one thing I had been wondering is if the function might be built-in anyway, invisibly to the user (and thus unalterable).  Fyi, the TP-Link doesn't list an SIP-ALG option either.   But the fact that that router does list some other ALG options suggests that they would list SIP-ALG as well if it were present.