News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to connect to GV

Started by RenoDave, December 09, 2018, 11:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenoDave

After 4 years of using a OBI 200 over ATT Uverse, the unit stopped connecting to Google Voice. I had done nothing to change the configuration. Re-installed the unit several times, and was never able to connect. The echo test (**9 222 222 222) worked fine. I moved the unit to a different house using Spectrum internet, and the unit connected without any issue.

The OBI status shows "SP1, Google Voice,  Connect Failed: No Response".  The OBI200, ATT router, OBI dashboard, and Google voice do not show any other error. I have no idea what has changed.

SteveInWA

Based on user reports over the past few days, it looks like AT&T's DNS servers did not get updated after an address change.  Change your DNS to use either Google's DNS:  8.8.8.8 or the Quad9 high-security DNS:  9.9.9.9

The ideal place to change this is on your home router, so that all attached devices will benefit from better DNS service, but if you can't do that, then change it in expert mode on the OBiTALK portal, for your OBiTALK product(s).

DG3CA

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 09, 2018, 04:48:17 PM
Based on user reports over the past few days, it looks like AT&T's DNS servers did not get updated after an address change.  Change your DNS to use either Google's DNS:  8.8.8.8 or the Quad9 high-security DNS:  9.9.9.9

The ideal place to change this is on your home router, so that all attached devices will benefit from better DNS service, but if you can't do that, then change it in expert mode on the OBiTALK portal, for your OBiTALK product(s).

ATT doesn't allow DNS changes. So how do you do the latter in expert mode?

SteveInWA

The answer depends on whether you are using an OBi 200 (no built-in router) or a 202 (has built-in router).

Assuming you have a 200, then:

Sign into your OBiTALK dashboard, here:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

Click your device name.  Scroll down and click "OBi Expert Configuration".  Click OK to the "are you sure" pop-up box.  Click "Enter OBi Expert" on the next page.

Edit the WAN settings and enter the DNS values for DNS 1 and DNS 2.  If you are using an OBiWiFi dongle instead of Ethernet, edit the settings in the "OBiWiFi configuration" section.  I recommend chaging them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

Always scroll down and click the "Submit" button after editing.

Note that you must remove the check marks from both boxes at the right side of the setting values, to enable it to be edited.

kenc295

Me 3!  Using an OBI200, ATT internet.  Worked great for a year till today, now incoming calls go straight to google voice mail and outgoing calls get a cryptic message of  "call XXX has not received  a response from the service provider."
The OBI echo test works fine.

Steve in WA, I tried following your WAN settings instructions, but finding the WAN setup got a little fuzzy.
On the LHS of the obi expert screen there's "system management" > "WAN settings"
The 5th and 6th line items are "DNSServer1" and "DNSServer2" I changed them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

SUCCESS!!!   Thank YOU!

Just wanted to add a little extra detail on where to find the WAN settings for people similarly incompetent to me.

DG3CA

Thanks Steve! That seemed to do the trick. I've added an image for anyone else who wants to see the layout. I assume the asterisks and exclamation points are normal when there has been a change?

Thanks again.

RenoDavid

Changing the DNSServer1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNSServer2  to 8.8.4.4 in the "System Management/WAN Settings" of my OBI 200 solved my GV connection problem.

Thanks to the people who helped me with this problem.

OB4ME

Ditto on the SUCCESS!!!  Steve, is this a setting that we should change back to the original check box (OBiTALK settings) sometime in the future (if AT&T updates their DNS?) 

After waiting for 24 hours to see if the situation resolved itself (it didn't) I poured through the previous posts and changed the DNS per Steve's directions.  Many thanks to all who figured this out!  I'm not highly knowledgeable in these areas but at least I can read through the responses and eventually figure it out.  Thanks to all for having the patience to write the detailed instructions.

SteveInWA

No, you can leave your DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's high performance DNS) or 9.9.9.9 (Quad9 high security DNS).  There is no need to use your ISPs DNS.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 10, 2018, 11:50:50 AM
No, you can leave your DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's high performance DNS) or 9.9.9.9 (Quad9 high security DNS).  There is no need to use your ISPs DNS.

I advise against using 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) as it is consistently resolving obihai.telephony.goog to the wrong ip address.

SteveInWA

??

Both DNS return the same results for me.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 10, 2018, 12:20:10 PM
??

Both DNS return the same results for me.
Wow. Don't know what to tell you. That's freaky but freaky stuff has been happening.
I know that Cloudfare resolved correctly yesterday but didn't this morning. Now it is.

But look at my graphic of what I get when I do an nslookup on obihai.telephony.goog and point at 8.8.8.8. I can't explain it.

SteveInWA

<insert joke here, blaming it on one of the political parties>

I believe that's simply a way to point one destination at another, while hardware is being changed.

See:  https://www.ntchosting.com/encyclopedia/dns/alias/

chilirock

I didn't experience the connection failure issue. Well, at least I wasn't aware of it if I had. I have been reading the various forum threads to catch up. I have always used OpenDNS DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) on my router and my Obi200 DNS is pointed to my router gateway ip address.

I checked both OpenDNS servers and each resolves obihai.telephony.goog to the same ip address: 216.239.36.144. Is that the correct ip address now?

zorlac

After puzzling over my obi not connecting to GV for the last 2 weeks or so and resetting it multiple times only to have it disconnect after a few minutes (I even got a banner message that something was amiss while using GV texting).

I removed my device from the portal and set it back up (Polycomm flashed me to Build: 5921EX fwiw) and it still would disconnect!  :'(

Quite fortuitously I searched for "216.239.36.144" using the forum search and landed on this thread.
I've applied the DNS fix to two obi200's and really hope that does the trick, so far so good!

Thanks guys for this post, these boxes are very economical but they're certainly not free;D

ymcp

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 09, 2018, 05:25:24 PM
The answer depends on whether you are using an OBi 200 (no built-in router) or a 202 (has built-in router).

Assuming you have a 200, then:

Sign into your OBiTALK dashboard, here:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

Click your device name.  Scroll down and click "OBi Expert Configuration".  Click OK to the "are you sure" pop-up box.  Click "Enter OBi Expert" on the next page.

Edit the WAN settings and enter the DNS values for DNS 1 and DNS 2.  If you are using an OBiWiFi dongle instead of Ethernet, edit the settings in the "OBiWiFi configuration" section.  I recommend chaging them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

Always scroll down and click the "Submit" button after editing.

Note that you must remove the check marks from both boxes at the right side of the setting values, to enable it to be edited.
now what would i do differnt for the 202
thanks

drgeoff

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on January 23, 2019, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: ymcp on January 23, 2019, 10:26:51 AM
now what would i do differnt for the 202
Nothing.

The difference is:  when using Ethernet, on a OBi 202, the DNS setting is in "Router Configuration-->WAN Settings", whereas on a OBi 200, the DNS setting is in "System Management-->WAN Settings".

However, ideally, the place to set your home network's DNS is in your main router, vs. on the individual devices.

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 23, 2019, 11:01:37 AM
However, ideally, the place to set your home network's DNS is in your main router, vs. on the individual devices.
I've been using 1.1.1.1 for a DNS on my router for over a year without issue and prefer to leave it that way. I'm of the opinion something's amiss with GV since I'm still getting occasional warning popups on the GV texting page that I might not be able to make calls over the internet & to check my settings even though my obi200 is working now.
This guy says the DNS fix isn't working for him, I dunno.