News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric's free NY DIDs will transition to $1/month

Started by SteveInWA, December 10, 2018, 03:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Heads up, GV-->CC users:  From Callcentric  on 12/10/2018

Valued Customer,

When we launched our FREE Phone Number Program almost 7 years ago, we knew supporting and maintaining this service would bring its own unique set of challenges; however we felt the value this service could provide our customers outweighed the negative.

Over the past several years significant changes in the regulatory environment, as well as an extreme uptick in fraud/abuse have caused this paradigm to shift. Despite these facts, we've continued to provide/support this product entirely free of charge.

In short, these changes have transformed what initially started as a value-added service for the BYOD Community into an untenable burden on our company's resources. As a result, we've been forced to make the difficult decision to discontinue our popular Free Phone Number Service on February 28, 2019.

We entirely understand that there will be a lot of questions/concerns related to this change and we want to assure you that we will work openly and diligently to address them all. Below is an overview of the basics, as well as some links with additional information:

Can I maintain my number(s)?
YES. We've created a new low-cost plan for $1 per DID/month that you can automatically transition your numbers to on 2/27/19. To opt-in to this plan, please click here

What does the new plan include?
For $1 per DID/month our Dollar Unlimited plan includes 2 Inbound Channels and UNLIMITED inbound usage

Do I have to do anything if I don't want to transition my numbers to the Dollar Unlimited Phone Number plan?
No. Any FREE Numbers that have not been converted to our new Dollar Unlimited plan will automatically be cancelled on 2/28/2019

I still have questions, where can I learn more?
We've added a detailed FAQ Section to our site to address concerns regarding our decision and to let you know exactly what to expect when we reach the deadline date. If you would like to learn more, please check our FAQ's

While the telecom industry is ever-changing, our commitment to providing innovative/affordable service solutions remains the same as it was when we started our company 15+ years ago.

We understand that when it comes to phone service you have a choice and we THANK YOU for choosing Callcentric.

Sincerely,
The Callcentric Management Team

LTN1

Hi, Steve. Years ago when one of my family's account signed up for GV, we had a CallCentric free number as the only forwarding number. This was before the requirement of a landline/cell phone number. Do you know if a "legacy" GV account is required to have at least a verifiable number to work or can the incoming GV number (used with the OBi) continue to work despite not having a verified forwarding number?

SteveInWA

• Google Voice requires that the potential user submit a linked/forwarding phone number as an "eligibility ticket", in order to claim one of their free inbound phone numbers.  VoIP ITSP numbers aren't eligible, and the submitted number must not have been used before to claim another number.   This is fraud-limitation measure.
  • After the Google Voice number has been successfully acquired, the user can delete their linked phone number(s).
  • However, if a Google Voice phone number is not used for some unspecified time interval (formerly 9 months, now undisclosed duration based on new algorithms), it will be reclaimed (taken back by Google).  "used" means:  make outbound calls or send text messages.  Inbound doesn't count, as an abandoned number will still receive robocalls.

LTN1

Thanks, Steve. A follow up question on the outbound texting--can it be a text with Hangouts linked to the GV number or does one have to actually use GV for the outbound text to count?

Rick

I got the same email from Callcentric.  There goes my E911 service as well as my infrequent outbound faxing, and my incoming fax receipt.

Now the choice - do I spend $50 on a new OBi and continue with Google Voice, or do I find a email fax service and move to 100% cell phones, with the GV numbers forwarding to my cell?

I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Taoman

Quote from: Rick on December 11, 2018, 05:31:40 AM
I got the same email from Callcentric.  There goes my E911 service as well as my infrequent outbound faxing, and my incoming fax receipt.

I'm curious what the email from Callcentric has to do with your E911 service? The free CC DID (soon to be $1/month) has nothing to do with your CC E911 service.

A post from DSLreports:
QuoteI've been using it for an incoming fax line only. At $12/year, it's still cheaper than eFax and other fax services.

Rick

Quote from: Taoman on December 11, 2018, 06:17:18 AM
I got the same email from Callcentric.  There goes my E911 service as well as my infrequent outbound faxing, and my incoming fax receipt.

I'm curious what the email from Callcentric has to do with your E911 service? The free CC DID (soon to be $1/month) has nothing to do with your CC E911 service.

Technically correct.  I could give up my free DIDs at Callcentric, which is how I use my OBi with Google Voice (GV forwards to free Callcentric number which rings OBi), yet keep my E911 service.  I'd have a totally useless physical home phone (wireless handsets) except for the ability to dial 911, and pay $18 a year for that. 

Unlikely to do that though.  We are empty nesters, never have a stranger in the home, and any guest knows where we live.  And we've setup our Verizon cells with 911 address identification.

Taoman

Quote from: Rick on December 11, 2018, 06:23:15 AM
I'd have a totally useless physical home phone (wireless handsets) except for the ability to dial 911, and pay $18 a year for that. 

Ah, I see..........hence your question whether you should buy a new OBi or not. Makes sense.

Taoman

Quote from: Rick on December 11, 2018, 06:23:15 AM
Quote from: Taoman on December 11, 2018, 06:17:18 AM

Technically correct. 
Looks like I was wrong about this. If you opt out of paying the $1/month for the DID your 911 service will also be removed.
I activated 911 Service using the Free Phone Number plan. What happens if i Opt Out?

If you Opt-Out, your 911 Service will be REMOVED as well. To keep 911 Service active, you will need a paid Inbound/Outbound plan on file.
https://www.callcentric.com/faq/46#528

HDClown

Quote from: Taoman on December 11, 2018, 07:56:12 AM

Looks like I was wrong about this. If you opt out of paying the $1/month for the DID your 911 service will also be removed.

I activated 911 Service using the Free Phone Number plan. What happens if i Opt Out?
If you Opt-Out, your 911 Service will be REMOVED as well. To keep 911 Service active, you will need a paid Inbound/Outbound plan on file.
https://www.callcentric.com/faq/46#528

You can use Pay per Call Outbound to keep E911 at $1.50/mo with no additional costs, other than when you need to make a 911 call.

What is my option if i have NO need for a Phone Number from Callcentric but require 911 Service?
https://www.callcentric.com/faq/46/530

Still seems like CallCentric at dollar unlimited+E911 for $2.50/mo is the lowest option out there if you want a no-cost inbound plan.  I've been looking at options that have unlimited inbound and Ooma basic was best alternate I found so but.  But, it is still going to cost slightly more due to the taxes/fees (at least $3/mo).  You also don't get CNAM with their basic plan (why I went with CallCentric free DID), and the Ooma Teleo is about $27 more upfront purchase than an OBi200. 

Since I already have the OBi200, I think I'll move to dollar unlimited and stick it out with CallCentric until the next price increase comes down the pipe (which it will eventually).

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on December 10, 2018, 05:53:15 PM
Thanks, Steve. A follow up question on the outbound texting--can it be a text with Hangouts linked to the GV number or does one have to actually use GV for the outbound text to count?

It has to be a SMS/MMS text to another real telephone number.  Hangouts is not SMS.

SteveInWA

Now the choice - do I spend $50 on a new OBi and continue with Google Voice, or do I find a email fax service and move to 100% cell phones, with the GV numbers forwarding to my cell?

Keeping the DID is only one dollar per month.  Surely you can afford that.

dudly

I had two free Callcentric phone numbers.  One which i used for inbound faxes and the other for calls.  I will keep the fax line and dump the other.  It is only $1.00/month.  BFD.

Lavarock7

Quote from: dudly on December 11, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
I had two free Callcentric phone numbers.  One which i used for inbound faxes and the other for calls.  I will keep the fax line and dump the other.  It is only $1.00/month.  BFD.

You might be able to use the line for both with some type of call treatment. A recording asking to press 1 to connect with you, otherwise it times out to the fax service.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Rick

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2018, 10:26:43 AM

It's not a matter of affording, it's whether it's worth any cost.  I can afford to have Comcast give me everything, but I pay $20 for 25MBPS internet, and watch OTA TV and stream some things. 

I have two phone lines and a fax line.  All 3 would be $36 a year. 

Or I could buy an OBi 200 when they go on sale for $40.  But given that it's 6+ years old, I don't trust that it won't be discontinued in the next year or so.

I've got 2 1/2 months to decide.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2018, 10:25:32 AM
Quote from: LTN1 on December 10, 2018, 05:53:15 PM

It has to be a SMS/MMS text to another real telephone number.  Hangouts is not SMS.

Maybe I'm just not understanding it but are you saying that there is a difference when I use the GV app to text out to a real number versus using my Hangouts (linked to my GV number) to text out to that same number? (I would be not texting to a Hangouts number--I would be texting from my Hangouts linked GV account to an outside number.)

SteveInWA

Hangouts can send and receive SMS at the moment, but I don't have any idea when it might be shut off.  Hangouts is being split off into just two functions:  Hangouts Meet (like multi-party video conferencing) and Hangouts Chat (like any traditional instant messaging service).  The other functions have migrated to Google Voice, which can send and receive SMS/MMS and (for beta users at the moment, soon to be generally available) make and receive GV calls over VoIP. 

So, don't use Hangouts any more.  Just use GV.

LTN1

Looking forward to using just the GV app when it allows VoIP calls. Thanks, Steve.

bluemusestudio

Quote from: Rick on December 11, 2018, 12:52:16 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 11, 2018, 10:26:43 AM

It's not a matter of affording, it's whether it's worth any cost.  I can afford to have Comcast give me everything, but I pay $20 for 25MBPS internet, and watch OTA TV and stream some things. 

I have two phone lines and a fax line.  All 3 would be $36 a year. 

Or I could buy an OBi 200 when they go on sale for $40.  But given that it's 6+ years old, I don't trust that it won't be discontinued in the next year or so.

I've got 2 1/2 months to decide.

I am in a similar situation but am realizing that I probably don't need my free DID service from CallCentric. I initially signed up with CallCentric because I wanted E911 and caller ID, and so I followed the helpful tutorial here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11386.0;wap2

However, I just did an experiment where I disabled the forwarding of my CallCentric number to my GV and everything seems to work fine without it. At first, incoming calls wouldn't ring, so I deleted my Obi202 from my GV account and added it back again and that fixed things. So, what might work in your situation is to purchase one line for fax service and keep your E911 service. Or you may prefer to forego the DID service and signup the free pay-per-call outbound service so you can continue to use CallCentrics E911.

lhm.

As of 12/14/2018 NewEgg has promo code EMCERET58 ($16.00 off) available for Obi200.