News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 will not consistently pass on internet to my computer?

Started by mrjoshjohnsmith, December 16, 2018, 07:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrjoshjohnsmith

As the title states the Obi202 will not consistently pass on internet to my computer? It works like this; I can get it to pass internet if I first shut off the obitalk device with the Ethernet cable going to my computer unplugged, then once it (the obi202 device) is fully powered up and connected to the internet and my phones and my computer is already powered up, then I can connect the Ethernet cable from my computer to the obi202 device and then I have internet and it functions properly, but as soon as I shut down my computer and then turn it back on (or it restarts) then about every 1.5 seconds it says "connected....identifying..... then it disconnects (as if I unplugged the Ethernet cable) then it starts the process over again and just keeps repeatedly trying to connect and then disconnects??? This is extremely frustrating because to get the internet to work I have to unplug the obi202 every time I want to shut down my computer (which is every day as I have a very high end PC that: 1 uses about 1500 watts per hour and 2 actually gets hot when running overnight even though it is water cooled. Now I have tried all the usual stuff within this windows 10 PC but it apparently has nothing to do with the PC or the network adapter because as soon as I unplug the Ethernet cable that is actually feeding internet to the obi202 and plug that cable into my PC, i instantly and always (meaning consistently over shut downs and restarts) have internet connection. Thanks you anyone and everyone that may have a solution and is kind enough to take the time to answer.

Sheffield_Steve

It's not a good idea to use the Obi device as a router/switch.

Just buy a simple switch (1Gb) and plug the internet cable (hopefully behind a router/firewall), the Obi and the computer into that.

drgeoff

You could try running the OBi202 in its "switch" mode rather than the default router mode. (The switch mode is termed bridge mode in the Admin Guide.)

Dial ***0.  You'll hear a voice asking you to enter an option followed by the # key.  Dial 31#.  You'll be told the current value is 0.  Follow the prompts to change that to 1.  (Page 31 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf)

mrjoshjohnsmith

Wow, that was awesome! The last reply worked great (flawlessly and instantly)!! For the other reply's,; the reason I spent more and got the Obi202 was so that I only had to run one cable to my new office (where my obi device is) while powering it and my computer with hardwired internet from my modem and 2 (primarily) it says on amazon where I bought the obi202 that the unit works sorta like a QOS device that will throttle my computers bandwith if I am on the telephone which is exactly what I needed because my modem/router (its a combo unit) does not have a QOS control to be able to make the Obi202 the priority device on the network, but the problem is now solved so I am just answering with this so as to explain more fully the situation out of gratitude for those that where kind enough to answer. Thanks again you all and have a great holiday.

Josh

Sheffield_Steve

Glad to hear it's working for you now...

I would still recommend a 1Gb switch.  You only need a single internet cable to make it all work and it will speed up your PC quite a bit. (Unless you have very slow internet)

mrjoshjohnsmith

Yes I do understand that but my internet is only 3MB down and 1MB up, so I am nowhere near being worthwhile to have a direct connection (although it is now flashing in and out now again so I wish I would have simply bought the cheaper Obi device since this one does not do what it says it would do (read above for my reason of getting this one))

Sheffield_Steve

azrobert

I had a similar problem. I was playing with different routers and every time I swapped routers, one of my PCs would not connect to the internet and I had to reboot it. I found that disabling/enabling the network adapter would cause it to connect to the internet. This is still a pain, but if it works for you is better than playing with cables.

Keep the OBi202 powered on
Power up the computer
On Windows 10 Taskbar:
Right click on Network ICON
Click Open Network & Internet Settings
Under Status or Ethernet click Change Adapter Options
Right click the Adapter and select Disable
Right click the Adapter and select Enable

Maybe disable the adapter before shutting down for the night then after power up the next day enable the adapter.

Edit:
Make sure you have the latest network adapter driver installed.

mrjoshjohnsmith

Thanks for the tip I did try that but unfortunately it will not work (or connect for more than about 1 second) until I completely unplug / turn off the obi202 from the wall (ie unplug the power cable) and then let it restart and then it works fine until I either shut the computer off again or if I unplug the network cable going from the computer to the obi device then it instantly start trying to connect and losing connection (all in the same second) again!! And to the other post I actually do have a network switch and that is how I am running 8 different hardwired cat7 network cables to so many different computers and network devices but unfortunately I only have one cable running to the office where my obi202 and desktop computer is which is why I spent the extra money on the Obi202 instead of the cheaper model that does not have a Lan out plug (since the obi202 says that it works just fine for this purpose). And actually my Network Switch was like $80 but it is a very high end one. Anyhow thanks again everyone for the tips but it still will not stay working and apparently the only reason it worked initially to switch from router to switch mode is because it actually reset / the obi202 device which apparently is what is required to get the LAN working again. Which means that I could restart the Obi-device every time I want to turn on my desktop but since it does not have a power switch I would have to physically unplug it (or mount a power strip on the wall above desktop height) to be able to use the hardwired network cable (although the desktop has built in 802.11a/b/c/n & AC so I can also just connect tirelessly but thats not the point!! the point is that I spent more money on this one because the description said it would do what I needed since I only have one Ethernet wire ran where I need 2). Anyhow thats all for now and thanks again!

Sheffield_Steve

We are missing something here.

You only need one Ethernet cable.  Connect that to the switch and then connect the PC and the OBi to the switch and all should be good.  (if the cable, NIC, etc are good and communicating correctly)

i.e. The switch will allow you to use two (or more) devices with one incoming Ethernet cable.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on December 27, 2018, 08:19:52 AM
We are missing something here.

You only need one Ethernet cable.  Connect that to the switch and then connect the PC and the OBi to the switch and all should be good.  (if the cable, NIC, etc are good and communicating correctly)

i.e. The switch will allow you to use two (or more) devices with one incoming Ethernet cable.
I rather doubt that a switch is going to cure the problem. First thing to check is the ethernet cables.

Sheffield_Steve

I agree, it's probably a networking issue. (cable, or duplex mismatch, etc., etc.).  

But it's still NOT a good idea to use the OBi as switch/router.

Quote from: drgeoff on December 27, 2018, 09:27:57 AM
I rather doubt that a switch is going to cure the problem. First thing to check is the ethernet cables.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on December 27, 2018, 10:04:45 AM
But it's still NOT a good idea to use the OBi as switch/router.
Given that the OP wrote "my internet is only 3MB down and 1MB up" I contend that using the OBi as a switch/router for 1 computer is not a bad idea.

Sheffield_Steve

If nothing else it will eliminate the Obi as being a cause of the issue.

mrjoshjohnsmith

Thanks again everyone for getting involved and trying to help. I do think though that there is some confusion to exactly what I was (I have since scrapped the idea of using a hardwired ethernet connection to my computer so I have given up with my original plan). Ok so this is how my connection went: Broadband Cable Internet comes through the wall in the Bedroom, and plugs into my 2in1 Modem & Wifi router Combo (see: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Certified-Xfinity-Spectrum/dp/B00ZUPOF7Y?th=1) and them from there there is only one Ethernet cable running several rooms away into my Office (this is the only ethernet cable ran in my house) and this is where I have my computer which considering how slow my internet connection is, this is why I paid the extra $20 for the Obi202 that Clearly States that it has ethernet connection in port and internet connection out port (which I had ran 2 feet away to from my obi202 device to my computer) and clearly states that is has a type of QoS that limits what the device connected to it can consume so as to not degrade your phone conversation if you are also using the computer connected to the Obi device. So this was my setup which I thouroughly researched before I ever purchased the obi device, unfortunately though this device does not do what the manufacturer says that it does, which was the risk I took when I purchased it so I am not mad. Now Hopefully though others that are thinking about buying this for the same purpose I had with it will happen upon this forum and see that they are better off just using an additional internet switch (a decent netgear switch can be had for about $20). As of right now I am just using my Desktops built in 5Ghz 802.11AC wifi and it works just fine. Thanks again everyone and good luck.