News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Making the Obi110 to Obi202 transition - anything to avoid?

Started by TimAtHome, December 18, 2018, 04:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimAtHome

I've owned an Obi110 for years and was very happy with it. After its EOL announcement and the GV changes I continued to use it with Simonics until the end. Finally bought an Obi202 to replace it.

The box has been staring at me on my desk for two weeks now ... the reason I'm hesitant is that I don't want to mess anything up. I am fairly technically proficient, but after I got my 110 working, I just let it be. It was a "set it and forget it" setup.

I didn't customize it that much, but I had it set so that when a call came in GV, it would bridge both to the Obi and a cell phone. (Right now when anyone calls our "home" number it just goes to the cell phone.)

I have an ObiTalk account and it's all connected to the Obi110. So, what's the advised way of making this transition? It is as simple as turning the Obi110 off, unplugging it and putting the Obi202 in its place? Do I have to do anything on ObiTalk first?

I'm sorry if this sounds dense. I love these boxes and love everything they can do, but presently I don't have the time for tinkering that I would like. Right now my only goal is to get this set up and get our house phones working again...

SteveInWA

Here's the thing:  you had a very old product, that no longer supported Google Voice.  A bunch of unauthorized hacks were made to keep it working.  That era is over.

You now have the currently-supported product.  It simply works, with no special settings or workarounds.

By design, Google Voice gives you an inbound telephone number.  You then "link" or add various forwarding destinations to that GV number, via the Google Voice settings page, https://voice.google.com/settings.

The forwarding destinations can be up to six different mobie or land line phone numbers, plus Google Hangouts, plus the Google Voice web client if you are enrolled in the GV VoIP calling beta, and as many OBiTALK devices as you wish.

So, an OBiTALK device is simply another forwarding destination.  All you need to do is to follow the instructions to set it up.

This has been covered many times in this forum.  Very briefly, you will sign into your correct Google Voice account on a web browser (the account that holds your Google Voice inbound phone number), then open another browser tab in the same browser, and go to the OBiTALK web portal, https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

Add your new device to the portal.  Then follow the steps to authorize your device to use your Google account.  That's it.

TimAtHome

Steve, thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to goof something up by decomming my 110 before I set up the 202.

The initial setup went pretty well. I made the echo test in about a minute. The 202 upgraded its firmware, but it doesn't let me configure GV.

When I press ***1, it tells me the ip address is 192.168.0.105 and dhcp enabled.

When I call **9 222 222 222, I get the echo test.

The device shows "online" on obitalk.com.

But when I click on the device on the Obi dashboard and click "google voice setup" I get this error:

"Firmware upgrade needed.
Cannot upgrade [myobi#] since it is offline. Please try again when it is online."

But it IS online!

SteveInWA

Another user reported that same bogus error message (the device does already have the latest firmware AFAIK).  I suggest just having a nice evening, then trying again tomorrow.  IF it still fails, open a ticket with Polycom.

TimAtHome

Will do.

I appreciate your replies. Pretty excited to get this thing going.