News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie question

Started by mooch49, December 19, 2018, 05:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooch49

I'm contemplating buying the obi 212. But I need some clarification on something. Right now I am using my cable provider(optimum) for my phone service. If I want to keep my phone number using the same service
but just use the obi as a bridge or something like that. See, I want to upgrade my modem. Problem is most of them don't have a phone jack. So in order to keep my service I need some source to use my phone line. Will this device provide that. In other words, I don't want to pay for any VOIP services. I just want the OBI 212 to use as my box for my existing phone service.

SteveInWA

Hi:

No, that won't work.

Cable company VoIP phone service can only be used with a DOCSIS certified modem/gateway provided by your cable company, or on their list of approved devices.  They do not give out their SIP credentials, and the service runs over their private network.

Comcast, for example, has a list on their website, of all of the approved devices you can buy.  Perhaps Optimum has a similar list, and, perhaps there is a MTA on that list that has a phone jack.

mooch49

Thanks for responding. The modem I would like to buy is approved by Optimum. But as I said, it doesn't come with a phone jack. So in order to keep my phone service, Im not able to use the OBI as a separate device to use the phone service. Instead, I would have to sign up for another VOIP service. If I decide to do that, is it a difficult process to keep my same number.

SteveInWA

I'm afraid you don't understand:  you cannot use an OBi device as a substitute for the "phone jack" on your cable-company-supplied MTA.  Cable company phone service is not the same as a typical SIP VoIP service provider.

You can either buy a MTA with a phone jack, or you can port your cable company-issued phone number out, to some other telephone service provider.  If you port it out to a SIP VoIP service provider, then you can set up THAT service on an OBi device.

mooch49

Ok, I see. I would need to subscribe to a compatible VOIP OBI service provider, then have them transfer my existing number to theirs. Then I would be able to cancel my cable phone service. How long is that process usually?

mooch49

My provider doesn't allow an MTA that carries voice. Basically stuck with only a Cable/Internet modem.

SteveInWA

OBiTALK devices, by themselves, are just boxes of hardware.  To use one, you need to pay a service provider, just like you'd pay any telephone service provider.  Polycom/Obihai is not a service provider itself.

Number porting is a FCC-regulated, standardized procedure in the US.  There are two carriers involved; the losing carrier (Optimum in this case) and the gaining carrier (whichever carrier you select to use instead.)

Briefly:  you find a service provider you like.  You contact that service provider, and ask them if they can port in your current phone number (now controlled by Optimum).  If they can, then they will act as your agent (with your legal permission) to contact the losing carrier.  They'll say, roughly, "Mooch wants us to take over service on one of your numbers.  Here is Mooch's account number and PIN on your service, to serve as permission.  Do you approve?"

Optimum then replies "yes, we approve; take it away."  The gaining carrier then works with the US agency that administers all number ports, to take over service.  A date is negotiated between the two carriers.  On that date/time, the inbound call routing for your number is switched over to your gaining carrier.  Finally, this will automatically trigger your losing carrier (Optimum) to cancel service on that number.

Do NOT cancel service yourself; you will lose the right to port the number.  Keep paying for the service until the porting process shuts off your service at Optimum, after moving it to your new service provider.

Many of us here on the forum use one or more of these SIP VoIP service providers, who have long track records of reliable service:  callcentric.com voip.ms, or phonepower.

mooch49

Thank you so much for summarizing all that for me. I think I understand what you are saying. I will certainly use your guide as a resource. Again, thanks.

dlarson54

I am not sure this hits your point but here is what I ran into: I could not port my number away from my provider to my new provider because not all provider work together but all providers work with some other providers.

I found parkmyphone.com which works with my provider. I ported my phone to them and they forward calls to my new provider. One does not notice any delay in quality or lag time.