News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[newbie] Can I make calls from SIP client to PSTN through FXO?

Started by Winfried, September 16, 2011, 04:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried

Hello

I assume the Obi110 can do this, but as I'm just getting started, I'd like to make sure this is the right product for this.

My ISP provides free phone calls to landlines + cellphones if calls are being made through a handset connected to the VoIP plug on their ADSL modem.

So the plan is installing an SIP client on my smartphone so that I can register with the Obi110 when I get a good enough wifi connection somewhere, tell the Obi110 (how?) which number I wish to call, and then have the Obi110 dial out and connect the two legs.

Can the Obi110 do this? How good is the performance? FWIW, my ADSL connection is about 10MB download and 800KB upload, and pretty stable so I guess jitter shouldn't be an issue in that part of the connection.

If the Obi110 can't do this, I'll have to leave a small Asterisk server on at home and use the Obi110 just to connect Asterisk to the FXS port on the ADSL modem.

Thank you.

RonR

If the FXS port on your ADSL modem works with a typical telephone set, there's every reason to be optimistic it will work with the OBi's LINE Port.

The OBi is not a SIP server and will not accept SIP registrations from a SIP client.  The OBi can accept and make calls via SIP URI's, however, which will accomplish your goal assuming your SIP client supports SIP URI's in both directions.  SIP2SIP may be an alternate solution.

Configuring the OBi to bridge the LINE Port and a SIP service is the easy part.

Winfried

Thanks Ron. I've never used SIP URIs before and have no idea what SIP2SIP does, so I'll have to read up on what they are and which SIP clients are available for Android phones that support them.

Riyas

Winfried,

I have the same setting (Voip plug on DSL modem + Free calls to landline and mobile numbers). As explained by RonR, if your modem accepts normal telephone set, it will work (If you are in France, that's the case)

If you have an Android device, you don't need to install sip clients. you can simply install Obion software on it. So if you are outside with a good 3G or Wifi connection, you can call for free landlines and mobiles (your Obi at home is acting like a voice gateway).

Winfried

Thanks Riyas. Out of curiosity, I guess ObiOn/ObiApp use an Obi-specific proprietary protocol instead of SIP, which would solve the usual issues with NAT firewalls standing in the way?