News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help: no sound on Obi202 with GV

Started by jpotkay, December 24, 2018, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpotkay

Hi all,

I purchased an Obi202 some time ago, stopped using it when they dropped GV support, and just tried to get it up an running again. After updating the firmware in my Obi202 and in my router (TP-Link Archer C9 v1), I can make and receive calls, but I don't hear anything through my phone's speaker (Vtech cordless phone). The phone that I call can here what I'm saying, but I can't hear them. I also don't hear the phone ringing when I place a call. Finally, I can't hear any audio when I try to do an echo test. (**9 222 222 222). Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Steps I've taken so far:
1. Did a factory reset of my Obi202. Installed the newest firmware. HardwareVersion: 1.4, SoftwareVersion: 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)

2. Installed new firmware on my router (TP-Link Archer C9 v1.0, Firmware Version: 3.17.1 Build 20180125 Rel.56387n)

3. Re-setup Google Voice through my Obitalk Dashboard.

4. In Google Voice, made sure that my calls were forwarded to my Obi device, not Talk/Chat or another phone.

5. Made sure the correct ports were open on my router as specified here, and set a fixed IP address for my Obi device:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

6. Checked for a SIP ALG setting for my router, but it does not appear to have one.

Here is the Call Status when I make a call with my Obi202:

Number of Active Calls: 1
Call 1             
Terminal 1   Terminal 2
Terminal ID   PHONE1   SP1
State   connected   connected
Peer Name      
Peer Number   XXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXX
Start Time   12:40:18   12:40:18
Duration   00:00:06   00:00:06
Direction   Outbound   Outbound
Peer RTP Address      74.125.39.50:19305
Local RTP Address      192.168.0.125:16600
RTP Transport      UDP
Audio Codec      tx=G711U; rx=G711U
RTP Packetization (ms)      tx=20; rx=20
RTP Packet Count      tx=1064; rx=1058
RTP Byte Count      tx=183008; rx=181976
Peer Clock Differential Rate      0 PPM
Packets In Jitter Buffer      5
Packets Out-Of-Order      0
Packets (10ms) Interpolated      1
Packets Late (Dropped)      0
Packets Lost      0
Packet Loss Rate      0 %
Packet Drop Rate      0 %
Jitter Buffer Length      100 ms
Received Interarrival Jitter      2 ms
DTMF Digits Received      0
Jitter Buffer Underruns      0
Jitter Buffer Overruns      0
Sequence number discontinuities      0
skew compensation      0 ms
send silence      0
MOS      4.40

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide. I appreciate it.

Best regards,
Joe

SteveInWA

Hi Joe:

Your call status data looks fine.  It looks like a normal call to me.  You didn't mention the glaringly obvious test:  try a different telephone (not the Vtech) plugged into the OBi.

Also, use a PC connected to the same LAN.  Sign into the correct Google account that has your Google Voice number.  Go here:  https://hangouts.google.com/ and call somebody.  Does 2-way audio work?

SteveInWA

I assume somebody with a TP-LINK router will chime in here, but a quick Google search on "TP-Link Archer SIP" has a lot of hits.  The articles seem to agree that SIP ALG is enabled by default, which is no good, but turning it off only works until the next router re-boot.  That could easily cause one-way audio.

jpotkay

Steve-

Many thanks for the replies and help. I sincerely appreciate it.

1. I just tried making a call from Hangouts on a computer on the same LAN and it worked just fine with audio in both directions. I also had another cordless phone that I just hooked up to the Obi and it also had the same no audio issue.

2. Yes, I can not find a SIP ALG setting in the router configuration settings. Copied below are the most related settings, which are all enabled by default. I tried disabling the ALG settings with no luck. I'm beginning to think I need I new router. I'm going to try contacting TP-Link to see if they have any suggestions. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thank you again.

Best,
Joe

Basic Security
Firewall
SPI Firewall:   
Enable
Disable
VPN
PPTP Passthrough:   
Enable
Disable
L2TP Passthrough:   
Enable
Disable
IPSec Passthrough:   
Enable
Disable
ALG
FTP ALG:   
Enable
Disable
TFTP ALG:   
Enable
Disable
H323 ALG:   
Enable
Disable
RTSP ALG:   
Enable
Disable

SteveInWA

So, that at least confirms that your Google Voice number is working properly, although different ports are involved with Hangouts vs. GV/OBi.

Did you try using a different telephone?  It would be rather embarrassing if that was the problem.

I would at least go into the router's settings and DISable every one of those ALG settings.  None of them are necessary.

If all of that fails to solve the problem, you could take your OBi over to a friend or relative's place, and try it on their network, for comparison.

jpotkay

Yes, I tried a different cordless phone plugged into the Obi and had the same issue. I could call and receive calls, but couldn't hear audio. The person on the other end could hear me though.

Thanks again!

jpotkay

I contacted TP-Link support and they replied with directions on how to update my firmware to a previous version that had SIP ALG settings (see email and directions below; note that this is for an TP-Link Archer C9 v1). Unfortunately, turning off SIP ALG did not fix the problem. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again. -Joe

Email from TP-Link support:
---
Dear Joe,
Thank you very much for requesting information about our product.

I am sorry to tell you that your current firmware version doesn't has the SIP ALG switch in the interface.

We have another version of firmware Archer C9(UN)_V1_160517 which added the options for SIP ALG function, if you are willing to, please upgrade to this version.

1. To upgrade the C9 from a US version firmware to the UN version, please firstly flash your router to the firmware in below.
http://support.tp-link.com/f/886c69e5d6/

2. Then download the Archer C9(UN)_V1_160517 from https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/Archer-C9_V1.html#Firmware and do the firmware update again.

Instruction for firmware update https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1065.html
Note: Please connect your PC to the router via cable to do the firmware update, Do NOT update the firmware via wireless connection.

Thank you.

jpotkay

Update for any that may read this later: TP-Link now suggested to try disabling NAT Boost, but the issue persists.

azrobert

You can try installing DD-WRT firmware.

Go here:
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database

Search for: archer c9
Select Revision 1.x
Follow instructions in Wiki, but download fw from database
I would do a reset before flashing
Wait a few minutes after flashing is complete before doing anything
You have the option to go back to factory fw

drgeoff

Do you hear any audio?  Presumably you hear dial tone when taking the phone off-hook.  If you dial ***1 do you hear "Basic network status. ......" ?

jpotkay

Thanks again for the responses.

Steve- I'm going to wait until I exhaust other options before I spend the money to buy a new router. I'm very happy with this router otherwise.

azrobert- Thanks for the tip on the DD-WRT firmware. I'll likely try this if TP-Link support can't help me.

drgeoff- Yes, I hear a dial tone. I don't hear anything if I dial ***1 or if I try an echo test.

Thanks again to all of you.
-Joe

drgeoff

Quote from: jpotkay on December 29, 2018, 10:30:10 AM
drgeoff- Yes, I hear a dial tone. I don't hear anything if I dial ***1 or if I try an echo test.
If you really hear nothing when you dial ***1 there is something wrong with your OBi which no amount of changing routers or their settings will fix.

The response to ***1 is generated totally locally within the OBi.  You should hear something even with no ethernet cable plugged in.

jpotkay

Thanks drgeoff. Yes, I definitely don't hear anything when I dial ***1. Is there anything else I can try? I just tried to install an old firmware, but get a checksum error.

drgeoff

Quote from: jpotkay on December 31, 2018, 07:40:37 AM
Thanks drgeoff. Yes, I definitely don't hear anything when I dial ***1. Is there anything else I can try? I just tried to install an old firmware, but get a checksum error.
Presumably you also hear nothing in response to **0 and ***0.

Please confirm that your phone (or cordless base station) is plugged directly into the OBi and not via any house phone wiring.

The only thing I can suggest is a reset to defaults as per step 2 at https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset.  If that doesn't help, then I suspect a hardware failure.

Current firmwares are signed.  They won't load an unsigned firmware.  You can try loading/reloading the 5921 version.

jpotkay

Thanks again drgeoff. I appreciate all the help.

For **0, it rings once and then nothing. For ***0, nothing.

Confirmed. The cordless base station is plugged directly into the Obi.

I tried the reset as suggested with no luck.

I also tried reloading to the 5921 firmware, but got the following message:
"Previous version identical to the update. Firmware not modified."

I'll wait on your response before buying a new unit. Thank you again for all the help.

drgeoff

**0 should ring briefly before the AA answers with "Welcome to OBi attendant. ....."

***0 should not ring but immediately respond with "Ener option followed by the pound key."

That you do hear a ring shows that the audio circuitry is not completely dead but that you don't hear any spoken voice shows that something is amiss.  I don't know enough about how a 202 is architected to diagnose further and even if I did it is very unlikely that you could do a hardware repair on the internals.

One thought.  Have you tried the other PHONE port of the 202?

jpotkay

Thanks drgeoff. Yes, I tried the other phone port and a different cordless phone. No luck.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll place an order for a new system today.

Best,
-Joe

jpotkay

Just a quick update. I bough a new Obi device and it works just fine using my default router settings and newest firmware.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and help. I appreciate it.