News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot obtain IP address through Powerline adaptor?

Started by oharag, December 31, 2018, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oharag

Hello I'm receiving internet through a TP-Link Powerline adaptor using ethernet. I have my computer and my Obi202 device connected using ethernet. I'm receiving a internet signal since I can get online on my computer. When I dial the number to activate it says that no IP address was assigned. The first LED on the Obi is blinking. I have not setup a firewall or opened any ports on my router.

Can anyone tell me why my router is not assigning an IP to the Obi? Again my computer works fine.

I have an Asus RT-AC88U router with latest firmware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

oharag

I did some research on opening ports on my Asus Router. I cannot add all of the specific ports listed in Polycom's help document. Also it's asking for an IP to assign the ports to during setup. How do I know which IP address to use if it hasn't been assigned yet?

N7AS

Why don't you just assign a Static IP on the OBi device itself?
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

drgeoff

Quote from: oharag on December 31, 2018, 07:23:16 PM
Hello I'm receiving internet through a TP-Link Powerline adaptor using ethernet. I have my computer and my Obi202 device connected using ethernet. I'm receiving a internet signal since I can get online on my computer. When I dial the number to activate it says that no IP address was assigned. The first LED on the Obi is blinking. I have not setup a firewall or opened any ports on my router.

Can anyone tell me why my router is not assigning an IP to the Obi? Again my computer works fine.

Thanks
Firewall and ports on your router have absolutely nothing to do with it assigning an IP address to your Obi or any other device.

An OBi202 has 2 ethernet jacks.  With default settings they are not interchangeable.  You must use the one marked INTERNET to connect to your Asus router.

oharag

Quote from: drgeoff on January 01, 2019, 03:39:11 AM
Quote from: oharag on December 31, 2018, 07:23:16 PM

Thanks
Firewall and ports on your router have absolutely nothing to do with it assigning an IP address to your Obi or any other device.

An OBi202 has 2 ethernet jacks.  With default settings they are not interchangeable.  You must use the one marked INTERNET to connect to your Asus router.

Ok I'll double check if I do not have the correct port inserted.

BTW you cannot assign a static IP address to a device that has not been discovered.

The port forwarding for this device is weird. I seem to not be able to add the ports recommend to my Asus router since I run out of space.

drgeoff

Forget about the "recommended" ports.

If you read carefully you will see that all of the ports mentioned except one are outgoing ports.  Opening an outgoing port is not the same as forwarding a port.  Port forwarding is done on incoming ports.  Besides, not a single one of the tens of home routers I have experimented with had any user control over outgoing ports.

As for the incoming port 10000 that is only used by the Obitalk service, not by any ITSP.

As I already said, the lack of an IP address on your OBi is not caused by any problem with opening or forwarding ports on your router.

zorlac

Maybe try a temporary Ethernet cable from the router to the obi to set it up & get it working and then try the power line adapter?