News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Spoof Caller ID

Started by bufbills83, January 01, 2019, 12:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bufbills83

Hello:

Is there a way to spoof my caller ID while using GV?  I have my obi 212 set up so i can call my gv number, the auto attendant picks up, and then I can continue the call, call a different line, leave callback #, etc.  When I continue the call or call a different line, on the receiving end it shows up as my gv number.  Is there any way of changing what shows up on the caller ID?  Like spoofing the caller ID so a different number comes up?  Thank you.

drgeoff

No.

GV doesn't have spoofing. Not an OBi limitation.

azrobert

CircleNet is a VOIP service that supports spoofing. They have a Pay-As-You-Go plan that costs about 1/3 cent per minute depending on the number you're calling.  You define the outbound callerid on your account. They also allow sub-accounts, so you can have more than 1 callerid based on the account/sub-account you're registered to. You can register to CircleNet directly from your Android and/or the OBi212.

http://www.circlenet.biz/

How are you calling the Auto Attendant? You can register your OBi212 to Callcentric, use your softphone to call the OBi212 and then get connected to the Auto Attendant.

bufbills83

I found out that there is no need to spoof.  When I call the Auto attendant and call other extensions, it shows up on a caller ID as if I am calling from my extension.  I realized this after I made the original post.

I actually have my GV number on SP1 set up to go to the auto attendant.  I setup callcentric on SP4 as the line that accepts the forked calls going to my office extension.  It works pretty well for now.  Other than CSipSimple becomes inactive when my android is asleep for a while.  I can work on that issue as I am sure it is just a setting that I need to change on CSipSimple.

I do have another issue:

The caller ID on my softphone app shows "Anonymous" on the caller ID when a call comes in.  I do not have a caller ID on my particular office phone, but some phones at my employer do have caller ID.  Those phones are Mitel Superset 4025's.  Is this some sort of 'In-Network Only" caller ID?  If so, can that information be forwarded to my smartphone?

As always, thank you for all your help.

dilanmaxwell

These spoof calling Ids are legal or not? I have found on Google unlimited spoof calling system is it good to choose or not?

SteveInWA

Quote from: dilanmaxwell on April 27, 2019, 12:36:59 AM
These spoof calling Ids are legal or not?

In the USA, the answer depends on the intent of the number spoofing.  From the FCC:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id

When is spoofing illegal?

Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, FCC rules prohibit anyone from transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm or wrongly obtain anything of value. Anyone who is illegally spoofing can face penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation. However, spoofing is not always illegal. There are legitimate, legal uses for spoofing, like when a doctor calls a patient from her personal mobile phone and displays the office number rather than the personal phone number or a business displays its toll-free call-back number.