News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will the Obi200 work with my security system?

Started by Toller, January 01, 2019, 04:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toller

I have Spectrum internet and phone.  The cable from the Spectrum modem goes to the phone wiring, and from there to my phone, fax, and security system.  I want to replace the Spectrum modem with an Obi200.  (I have a second modem for the internet that goes to a router; I understand the Obi200 will attach to the the router...)

Some say that the security system won't work on the Obi200.  I would like to tie that detail down before I buy one.  Appreciate your help.

SteveInWA

In general, and in my experience, consumer ITSP VoIP isn't reliable enough to depend on, for dial-up connection to an alarm monitoring company.  VoIP service supplied by cable companies (well, at least Comcast; I can't vouch for the others) is very reliable, because, unlike pure-play ITSPs, they use a dedicated, managed network to provide the service (it doesn't travel over the public Internet).  Alarm panels use an ancient protocol to transmit the messages, which has very limited accommodation for signal quality errors.

The major alarm monitoring companies recommended method of monitoring is now via either a 4G mobile data modem, or via a IP connection, or both, for redundancy.

You'll see a check-box on the OBiTALK website when configuring Google Voice, that enables that SP configuration to use with a security panel.  However, this renders that Google Voice setup useless for regular voice calling.

No doubt, others will disagree, but personally, I'd rather pay for reliable monitoring than take my chances.  Contact your alarm monitoring company for their recommended solution.

Toller

The Obi202 has two line.  Can one be set up SP and the other used for Google Voice?

I googled on "Obi200 SP" and nothing came up.  What is SP?

drgeoff

Quote from: Toller on January 04, 2019, 07:29:24 AM
The Obi202 has two line.  Can one be set up SP and the other used for Google Voice?

I googled on "Obi200 SP" and nothing came up.  What is SP?
1.  Do not use the term "line" in connection with the PHONE jack(s) on an Obi.  An OBi202 can have up to 2 phones plugged in.  An Obi202 can be configured with up to 4 VoIP accounts each of which usually has a unique number (eg  DID or extension number).  Any of the phones can make or receive calls on any of the accounts.

2.  What is the context of the term "SP"?  Usually it stands for Service Provider.  ITSP is Internet Telephony Service Provider.

SteveInWA

SP, in the context of OBiTALK lingo is an individual configuration on the device (one of four on the OBi200 or 202).  You enter the credentials (for example, username and password or other authentication) that you get from a...wait for it...ITSP.  The device then connects to that company's SIP VoIP server to provide service.  Otherwise, the device doesn't provide that service itself -- YOU need to subscribe to the service.

OBiTALK devices support any combination of different service providers.  Google Voice is just one example.

It's all a moot point, since it's not a good solution for a security panel

Rick

Most security companies will say that using VoIP is not reliable and will not guarantee they can receive an alarm signal.  I added cellular technology to my 8 year old (now 14 year old) when I dropped my landline.  That added $10 per month to my alarm monitoring, but that's a lot less than what my POTS was.

I'll be dropping OBi at the end of January as I have an OBi 110 that no longer supports GV, had been using Callcentric for free and now that's going away.  Switching to all cellular, Verizon allows setup of your physical address for E911 now for calls made over Wi-Fi, which my home-based calls are.  I will be testing that with the E911 coordinator of my community later today.