News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 200 Phone LED Blinking Green?

Started by DMVer, January 03, 2019, 10:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMVer

I am trying to explain my issue as clearly as I can.

I bought two OBI 200 a few years ago, one was set up with Phone, and the other was set up with Fax, both worked fine when setting up a few years ago.

Obi 200 linked to phone: It works fine all the time during the past few years. I use the phone regularly.

Obi 200 linked to fax machine (actually a printer with fax feature): When it was set up, it worked, but I don't know when it stopped working, since I almost never use fax. Recently, I transferred this Google Voice number to another google account, so the device OBI 200 has not been added to new google account. However, I think it stopped working way before I transferred Google Voice number. Anyway, I am trying to connect this OBI200 to the fax machine again, it just does not work (no matter how I dial ** 5 #### from fax machine, #### is randomly four ending digits generated by system).

I switched internet cable and phone cable between these two OBI devices, fax is still not working, phone is still working, so there is no issue with internet cable or phone cable.

Now below is video link on Google Drive, OBI 200(linked to fax) Phone LED keeps blinking green, I mean the LED on the right. While OBI 200 (linked to phone) Phone LED is solid green.

What is the issue here? Is the OBI device broke?

Thanks.

Video Link on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zF9bau6_lVIAxUvwyGb0bz91KW9FAd9z

drgeoff

The usual reasons for the PHONE LED blinking are:

1.  An incoming call

2.  The phone being off-hook.

Does it stop blinking when you unplug the cable from the PHONE port of the OBi?

DMVer

Quote from: drgeoff on January 03, 2019, 11:16:48 AM

1.  An incoming call

2.  The phone being off-hook.

Thanks.

First, it is not connected to phone, as explained above, it is connected to fax (printer).
unplug the cable from PHONE port: not blinking anymore, the light is OFF.

Edit:
There is something wrong with setting up. I have not added OBI device to www.obitalk.com, the default Obi number is not my Obi device number.

How to add Obi number to my account www.obitalk.com ?

Attached: I don't know where this Obi number comes from, I cannot delete/modify it. Apparently, it is not my Obi200 device number, my Obi 200 device number begin with 510

Thanks.

drgeoff

Quote from: DMVer on January 03, 2019, 11:21:41 AM

1.  An incoming call

Thanks.

First, it is not connected to phone, as explained above, it is connected to fax (printer).

Edit:
There is something wrong with setting up. I have not added OBI device to www.obitalk.com, the default Obi number is not my Obi device number.

Attached: I don't know where this Obi number comes from, I cannot delete/modify it. Apparently, it is not my Obi200 device number, my Obi 200 device number begin with 510

Thanks.
I never said that your Obi is connected to a phone.  And as far as the Obi is concerned it doesn't distinguish between a phone and a fax machine.

That the blinking stopped when you unplugged from the PHONE port means the blinking was because the OBi thought a device (such as phone or fax) was plugged in and was "off-hook".  Plug just the cord into the OBi.  If blinking, the cord is faulty.  If not then the fax machine is off-hook.

Your blinking is nothing to do with adding the device to the portal.

The 9 digit number already showing on the portal is for optional use with a softphone.  Obihai gives one complimentary number with every account.  You cannot delete it but you can hide it.

DMVer

Quote from: drgeoff on January 03, 2019, 01:10:55 PM
Quote from: DMVer on January 03, 2019, 11:21:41 AM

1.  An incoming call

Thanks.

Edit:

Thanks.
I never said that your Obi is connected to a phone.  And as far as the Obi is concerned it doesn't distinguish between a phone and a fax machine.

That the blinking stopped when you unplugged from the PHONE port means the blinking was because the OBi thought a device (such as phone or fax) was plugged in and was "off-hook".  Plug just the cord into the OBi.  If blinking, the cord is faulty.  If not then the fax machine is off-hook.

Your blinking is nothing to do with adding the device to the portal.

The 9 digit number already showing on the portal is for optional use with a softphone.  Obihai gives one complimentary number with every account.  You cannot delete it but you can hide it.

Of course fax machine is NOT connected to OBI device, that is my issue (why I post this thread).

As stated in first post, cord is fine (see first post).

I am not sure what it means "fax machine is off-hook".

My issue is: When I dial **5#### from fax machine(as mentioned in the first, the number is generated by the system for me to connect fax machine to OBI device), then press Hook, it just does get any response, and fails to connect to OBI device.

I have no issue with softphone anymore.

drgeoff

Temporarily plug the phone into the problem Obi200.  Dial **9 222 222 222.  Does it get through to "Welcome to Obitalk ..."?

If yes try the **5 xxxx procedure by dialling using the phone.

DMVer

Quote from: drgeoff on January 03, 2019, 02:37:14 PM
Temporarily plug the phone into the problem Obi200.  Dial **9 222 222 222.  Does it get through to "Welcome to Obitalk ..."?

If yes try the **5 xxxx procedure by dialling using the phone.

Thank you. It works, now it appears that fax machine cannot be used to set up OBI device. I guess I also used this way to set up fax machine a few years ago, completely forgot about how to set up fax machine.

Now the OBI device is shown on the website dashboard, and I have sent a document via free online fax website to my google voice fax number, and I am able to receive the document.

I don't have a way to test sending document from my fax machine. But I guess it works.