News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Why is the data light on my Obi 200 lit when I'm not using the phone?

Started by sdean7855, January 04, 2019, 01:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdean7855

Why is the data light on my Obi 200 lit when I'm not using the phone? I see the data light flashing all the time. Since the device is connected to my Ethernet I have to wonder about security and back doors and such.....

drgeoff

Quote from: sdean7855 on January 04, 2019, 01:24:36 AM
Why is the data light on my Obi 200 lit when I'm not using the phone? I see the data light flashing all the time. Since the device is connected to my Ethernet I have to wonder about security and back doors and such.....
Nothing to worry about.  That is perfectly normal.

sdean7855

That wasn't the question.  Even if it is normal, why is it happening? An occasional data pulse I could understand, but a steady flickering all the time not.  Is Google doing some peer functionality through me?

SteveInWA

Why?

Most Ethernet connected devices will show flickering activity LEDs.  It's normal.  It can be "keep alive" messages sent periodically, and/or other activity on your LAN.  Nobody is spying on you (well, at least not Google Voice).  Anyone who has owned an Ethernet switch knows this; they have activity LEDs constantly blinking.