News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No problem, just need translation of Obi message

Started by Rick1441, January 04, 2019, 04:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick1441

Obi200 with Google Voice.

Today I tried calling a business that I am beginning to think might have gone out of business.  After about ten rings, I get a voice saying, "The number you dialed has not received a response from the service provider."  I know from some setup missteps awhile back (and just Googling) that this is an Obi-generated message.

Anyway, sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone please give me a non-technical explanation of exactly what this is saying in terms of process?  I guess I wouldn't find it as confusing if it instead said, "The number you dialed has not provided a response to your service provider."  None of the prior discussion I've seen addresses this "translation, please?" question.

Thanks.

Rick1441

SteveInWA

I resisted answering the question, because I don't really know, either.  The message is certainly ambiguous. I think your translation is correct.

However, in context:  if the OBi can make phone calls to various numbers, but only that one business number returns the error, then I believe it is telling you that the service provider (I mean, the SIP server supplying service to your OBi on the SPx slot you are using, e.g. Google Voice), sent a hello message to the called party's destination, but it did not receive a SIP message of some kind in return (no response from that number's service provider)...or, your ITSP (e.g. GV or Callcentric or whatever) itself is failing to make the call to the number you entered.

So:  does your device work correctly, other than when trying to call a particular phone number?

Rick1441

Thanks for the response and the contextual interpretation.

This morning, after ensuring that the situation hadn't changed when calling with the Obi+GV, I tried something I should have done earlier -- namely trying the number with my mobile phone (Xfinity Mobile, a Verizon MVNO).  After about ten rings, I got a "mailbox full" response.

But now, just after reading your reply I tried once again, and on both the Obi-connected phone and the mobile I get a "we're closed for vacation until Jan 14" message after four rings.  Coincidental timing.

Otherwise, everything's been working fine with the Obi.  Aside from the situation discussed here, I hadn't heard the "...not received a response from the service provider" Obi message since the initial setup missteps I'd made and remedied.