News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 Obis, 1 GV Account?

Started by payphone, January 06, 2019, 03:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

payphone

I have a home setup where the only service being used is Google Voice. This is working fine in the main home, but I would like to connect an analog phone in an outside building that not wired to the main home phone line that the Obi is using.

Is it possible to add a 2nd Obi 200 with a Wifi adapter to the outside building, and share the same Google Voice service/line as the main home Obi? If I do this, can it be set up so that for example if someone is on a call on Obi 2, then someone can pick up a phone connected to Obi 1 and continue/join in on the call? Basically, just wanting it to act as a wireless phone jack for the outside location.

I know that there are plenty of dect cordless phones out there, but this is to hook up a specific analog phone that needs a wired connection.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice anyone may have.

drgeoff

Yes you can set up a second OBi on the same GV account as the first one.  Either of them can make calls.  Both can ring when the GV number is called.  First to answer takes the call.

No you cannot join a call in progress just by lifting a handset.  IP telephony does not work the same analogue phones.  OBis do support 3 party calls but that requires some action by the user of the OBi on the original 2 party call.  AFAIK it isn't possible for the other OBi user to add himself/herself into the call.

Also I would not blindly assume that an OBiWIFI would have sufficient range.

payphone

Another option I've read about (not specific to Obi technology) is the possibility of using two ATAs to make a "back to back" connection, essentially a SIP connection from device to device on the LAN to do this. Not sure if it would be easier/cheaper to try this with some old ATAs (or find an ATA that can talk to the main Obi and try to emulate this in software)

Here's one such guide I found https://manualzz.com/doc/13635245/linksys-ata-back-to-back-2x-spa

drgeoff

Quote from: payphone on January 06, 2019, 05:10:55 PM
Another option I've read about (not specific to Obi technology) is the possibility of using two ATAs to make a "back to back" connection, essentially a SIP connection from device to device on the LAN to do this. Not sure if it would be easier/cheaper to try this with some old ATAs (or find an ATA that can talk to the main Obi and try to emulate this in software)

Here's one such guide I found https://manualzz.com/doc/13635245/linksys-ata-back-to-back-2x-spa
That also won't meet your requirement for "set up so that for example if someone is on a call on Obi 2, then someone can pick up a phone connected to Obi 1 and continue/join in on the call".