News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Static IP or not?

Started by dlarson54, January 09, 2019, 10:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlarson54

I have a static IP because my old system required it. Do I still need it and I am using 508.

drgeoff

Quote from: dlarson54 on January 09, 2019, 10:16:05 AM
I have a static IP because my old system required it. Do I still need it and I am using 508.
You been using the forum long enough to know that posting the same question in multiple places is bad form. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13235.msg97149#msg97149

Whether you need static IP or not depends.  Why did your old system require it?

dlarson54

I am sorry, I did find my old post with that question. I am completely ignorant about the whole subject of telephone systems yet have been inching my way along with an 508 in my office after having great sucess with a 200 in my home. It has been a long haul but I am up and running and so far very happy. I have some bugs yet. One of which is I have a quirky transfer problem in that I can transfer but not to a specific extension. I am trying to understand if there is something in Expert that I need to do. Also hunt group syntax does not seem to work the way I though it would.

The reason for my question is to move to my own router and not need to use Comcast to acquire a static IP which I needed when I changed internet providers from my old intern and phone system provider who require that I get a static IP to function in a Comcast internet environment. I am about ready to jump over and just being careful.