News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recommended procedure to swap out a damaged Obi202 with a new replacement?

Started by BGood, December 27, 2018, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGood

Last summer, phone port #2 on my Obi202 was fried by a nearby lightning strike.  Following the advice given in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14162.0 I reconfigured incoming calls from both SIP1 and SIP2 to ring onto phone port #1 and dialed the **2 prefix to initiate some phone port #1 calls when I wanted the call to originate from SIP2.  This worked pretty well, but restricted all the attached 2-line wireless phones to the single phone port #1 line .

I just received a replacement Obi202 purchased from NewEgg's recent sale, and am ready to retire the damaged Obi202 and install the new Obi202 in its place.  But in the replacement process, I do not want to inadvertently terminate or incur new charges from my existing SIP1/SIP2 service providers, Anveo and Google Voice.

Does anyone who has gone through this type of Obi hardware replacement have any advice on the safest procedure to follow to minimize transition cost, downtime, and potential problems?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

For Anveo, contact them, because it depends on whether you have their special OBi plan or just a regular plan.  If on the OBi plan, you may need to work with them to move the registration over to the new device.

For Google Voice, just delete the SPx off of your existing 202 on the OBiTALK dashboard before deleting the 202 itself off the dashboard.  If you are enrolled in the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta, you can go to Google Voice settings (https://voice.google.com/settings) and delete the entry for the OBi device.

Then, add the new 202 to the dashboard, and then go through the usual Google Voice setup.  There are no special steps needed, other than re-configuring any custom settings you may have used.  Of course, be sure you are signed into the correct Google/Gmail/GV account while configuring the OBiTALK setup.

BGood

BGood

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 27, 2018, 08:58:16 PM
For Anveo, contact them, because it depends on whether you have their special OBi plan or just a regular plan.  If on the OBi plan, you may need to work with them to move the registration over to the new device.

For Google Voice, just delete the SPx off of your existing 202 on the OBiTALK dashboard before deleting the 202 itself off the dashboard.  If you are enrolled in the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta, you can go to Google Voice settings (https://voice.google.com/settings) and delete the entry for the OBi device.

Then, add the new 202 to the dashboard, and then go through the usual Google Voice setup.  There are no special steps needed, other than re-configuring any custom settings you may have used.  Of course, be sure you are signed into the correct Google/Gmail/GV account while configuring the OBiTALK setup.

I eventually heard back from Anveo and this is what they added:

QuoteFrom OBITALK you can click Anveo icon and then at the bottom OBITALK has "restore previous service" button which will guide you through the steps to provision new device for the existing Anveo service.

I have not actually replaced the Obi202 yet, since it is still working in Obi200 mode, but will report back if the procedure does not work.