News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Get Obi 110 Just in Case?

Started by tafkam, September 18, 2011, 10:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tafkam

Hello all,

Quick question about Obi 110 vs 100.

I am new to all of this but am considering dropping my land line and getting Google Voice to use with the Obi.  I know that the only difference between the two is that the 110 has a land line port.

I think that the 100 is smaller in size, and is actually the newer model?

They are both very similar in price, maybe a 7 dollar difference and at first I thought I was going to go with the 110 as I was not sure if I ever would need a port for hard wire (I am thinking about keeping my land line just for a fax machine).

I am not sure how having a land line hooked up to the Obi would work or what advantages it has?

Also, if the 100  is a newer model and smaller that may be the way to go unless there is some advantage in having the 110's extra port in case I ever need it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give.

Mike
Miamisburg, OH

RonR

tafkam,

The OBi100 is about half the width of an OBi110 and isn't quite as deep or as tall.

While it wasn't released at the same time as as the OBi110, I would bet the OBi100 is the same unit with the FXO port components simply left off.  The same firmware runs in both units, so it's unlikely there are any other significant differences.

If your PSTN line will be used solely for FAX, then there may not be an advantage to having it connected to the OBi.  If it might ever be used for voice calls, then having it connected to the OBi consolidates all your telephone capabilities through one phone system.  The OBi is also capable of bridging calls between its various trunks, so the more paths you have, the more things you might be able to accomplish.

tafkam

Thanks for that info, and I suppose that land line will be for fax only but also a backup if I lose internet access.

I guess I still don't get what is meant by "consolidating" telephones lines, for example say I did have my voice land line plugged into the 110, and used Google voice as well, I guess that would be a way to use both services with the same phone? 

RonR

Quote from: tafkam on September 18, 2011, 12:58:51 PM
I guess I still don't get what is meant by "consolidating" telephones lines, for example say I did have my voice land line plugged into the 110, and used Google voice as well, I guess that would be a way to use both services with the same phone? 

Rather than having one or more telephones connected to the PSTN Line and one or more telephones connected to the OBi, all telephones can be connected to the OBi and access all services equally if the PSTN Line is also connected to the OBi.

tafkam

Got it, thank you for clearing that up for me.  Kind of what I thought but that confirmed it thanks again