News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Initiate calls from Google Voice contacts list?

Started by dksh, August 25, 2011, 06:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dksh

I just received my Obi110 but haven't started setting it up yet. I bought the Obi110 because I want to disconnect my POTS line.

I use a Google Apps for Business account and my Google Voice number for my home-based business. I've also started giving my Google Voice number to friends, family, businesses, and I have ALL my contacts in Google Voice and gmail, arranged in groups.

I have a multitude of business contacts, so I make calls by finding the contact in Google Voice and clicking on the phone number I want to call. It then rings my POTS line.

Can I do this with the Obi110, initiate a call from my contact list that connects to my Obi and the phone attached to it? If I have to find the contact, write down the number, close Google Voice and/or gmail and actually DIAL the number, I might as well send this thing back!

dksh

To make it more clear: The ONLY thing I planned to have associated with my Obi is my Google Voice number. I don't plan to hook up my POTS line to the Obi because I want to see who is ringing my POTS line v. my Google Voice number so I know who I need to give my GV number to (or nag about changing my number in their contacts list).

QBZappy

dksh,

If you connect a phone to the OBi you can change the ring tone of one of the lines and by the tone see the CID of the call.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dksh

That's good to know, thanks.

But back to my original question, when I no longer have a POTS line, only a Google Voice number, can I click a contact's phone number in GV to start a call that is sent to my Obi-connected phone?

QBZappy

I'm assuming that you are thinking of using the GV contact list from the browser. Although not the most efficient way to make an outgoing call, I think you can call the OBi and conference in another call. GV used to work differently before. It used to ring your device and automatically connect to the outbound tel number you had dialed. I think that would would have worked for you.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dksh

Yes, sorry, I was referring to my GV contact list in the browser. Currently, when I click on a contact's phone number, it rings my POTS line. When I answer my POTS line, it rings the contact's phone.

I'm just wanting to make sure there is a way to make an outbound call with the Obi while having my GV contacts list open in the browser and without having to manually key in the phone number.

QBZappy

dksh,

No. OBi has its own speed dial list. We might be able to figure out a way how to export/import GV contact list into the OBi speed dial list. That is as close as you might get to integrate the GV contact list to the OBi at the moment.

Calling the from GV contact list, having it call your device first and then automatically connecting to the dialed number is actually really neat and a good working solution for most people. Using GV contact list is similar to people using Outlook as a dialer for contact management. In both cases a computer has to be on.

Since the OBi is basically acting as a GChat client, it might be able to access the GV contact list with some programming effort on the part of the OBi software people. You might ask for this feature in the feature request section of the forum.

RonR

Quote from: dksh on August 25, 2011, 09:33:10 AM
I'm just wanting to make sure there is a way to make an outbound call with the Obi while having my GV contacts list open in the browser and without having to manually key in the phone number.

When you make a call from the Google Voice web site, you are given the option to select one of your callback numbers (Phone to call with).  Selecting Google Talk will ring the telephone connected to your OBi.

dksh

@QBZappy: Thanks. Yes, integration with the GV contacts would be wonderful. I have my computer on all day. Good to know there's a speed dial list I can use for calling friends/family when the computer is off.

@RonR: Ah. I have Google Chat enabled (so I can call via GV from within gmail) but I hadn't heard of Google Talk. I see it's an option in my Google Apps service settings.

I guess the best way to go is to set the Obi up and play around with all of the options.

Thank you!

RonR

dksh,

When you click on the CALL option of a Google Voice contact, there is a drop-down menu with a caption of "Phone to call with".  Your home phone will be listed listed, as well as Google Talk and any other phones you have as callback numbers in Google Voice.  If you select Google Talk instead of your home phone number, your OBi's telephone will be used.  I have confirmed this works as I've described.

Dav3yDark0

I can confirm it works, just as RonR describes it.

Dave

jimates

dksh,

Google's terminology confuses many. The Google Talk listed in your apps is not the same thing, that is a stand alone instant message/talk program. The google talk referenced in google voice is actually the same "google chat" that is used in gmail. Selecting the "google talk" for calling from google voice is actually going to ring the "google chat" feature of gmail (which is what the Obi uses).

In order to do this, your gmail account that you use for calling and your google voice account must be linked for the "google talk" option to show as a forwarding number on your google voice page.

If you use a different log in for gmail and google voice then the google talk option will not appear on your google voice page.

Also note, very few people have success getting the phone connected to the Obi to ring while their gmail is open in a browser.

dksh

jimates, thanks for clearing that up. I have my calls forwarded to Google Chat (Google Talk isn't listed as an option) and my GV and gmail are linked, so it will probably work. Unfortunately, I'm out of town on business and won't be able to set things up until Monday.  :(

dksh

IT WORKS!!!!!  ;D

And it rings even when my gmail is open!

Thank you!

pavel_ismailov

Hello!

Please check www.flashphoner.com
This is RTMP-SIP server for making web calls from the browser to phones
It have built-in FlashPhone and JavaScript Phone

Functions:
- Audio - Speex, g.711, g.729
- Video - h.263, h.264
- SIP - calls, transfer, hold, DTMF, IM chat
- API - ActionScript, JavaScript
- Open source client