News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I just ring the Obi and be called back?

Started by Winfried, September 18, 2011, 02:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried

Hello

I'm reading up on how to use the Obi110 and found the following in the FAQ/KB:
There are multiple ways to use an OBi with a mobile phone. [...] Now to take this one step further, just go to the OBiTALK portal, and add this mobile phone's number to the 'trusted Caller IDs' section of the web site. Now, when this phone calls your OBi, the OBi Automated Attendent will answer and either direct the call to the attached phone or it will allow the mobile phone caller to make a new call.

What I'd like to do, is just ring the Obi110 from my cellphone (with my CID number showing) without the Obi110 actually answering, then have it call me back through my ISP's ADSL VoIP FXS port for free: That way, my cellphone plan won't be charged anything.

Can the Obi110 simply pick up CID, and if the call comes my cellphone, simply wait a few seconds then call me back and prompt me for the number I wish to call?

Thank you.

RonR

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {(<**8>12341234567):aa($1)},{ph}

where 12341234567 is your cell phone number.

Calling your LINE Port and hanging up before the Auto Attendant answers (10 seconds) should get a callback.

Winfried

tome

Quote from: RonR on September 18, 2011, 03:17:28 PM
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {(<**8>12341234567):aa($1)},{ph}

where 12341234567 is your cell phone number.

Calling your LINE Port and hanging up before the Auto Attendant answers (10 seconds) should get a callback.

Is it possible to do this when calling in through Google Voice on SP1?
Tom

tome

To answer my own question, it does indeed work.  I had to remove my cell phone as a forwarding phone for Google Voice in order for GV to pass the call to the Obi rather than routing it to GV Voicemail, but once removed it worked.   I don't actually have a use for this, but good to know I can do it if I need to.

Tom

RonR

Quote from: tome on September 18, 2011, 06:58:22 PM
Is it possible to do this when calling in through Google Voice on SP1?

As you've discovered, the answer is yes.  And you can have the callback returned on the trunk of your choice by changing the **n (IOW, it doesn't have to be the same trunk you called in on).

RonR

Quote from: tome on September 18, 2011, 07:06:50 PM
I had to remove my cell phone as a forwarding phone for Google Voice in order for GV to pass the call to the Obi rather than routing it to GV Voicemail, but once removed it worked.

Tom,

In case you're not aware of it, you don't have to remove your cell phone as a forwarding phone for Google Voice in order for GV to pass the call to the Obi rather than routing it to GV Voicemail:

In advanced settings for your cell phone number in your Google Voice account, change:

Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?

Yes (default for mobile phones)

to

No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)

tome

Quote from: RonR on September 18, 2011, 07:52:50 PM
Quote from: tome on September 18, 2011, 07:06:50 PM
I had to remove my cell phone as a forwarding phone for Google Voice in order for GV to pass the call to the Obi rather than routing it to GV Voicemail, but once removed it worked.

Tom,

In case you're not aware of it, you don't have to remove your cell phone as a forwarding phone for Google Voice in order for GV to pass the call to the Obi rather than routing it to GV Voicemail:

In advanced settings for your cell phone number in your Google Voice account, change:

Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?

Yes (default for mobile phones)

to

No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)

Cool, thanks RonR.  I was not aware of that.
-Tom