News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IP address

Started by dlarson54, January 24, 2019, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlarson54

I have a static IP and everything is working fine but would like to get rid of it. Can I just switch it with my service provider or do I need to configure something in Obitalk as well?

drgeoff

If you are talking about a static IP address for the WAN side of your router, you don't need to make any changes to devices on the LAN side of the router.

zorlac

"I have a static IP and everything is working fine but would like to get rid of it."
Why get rid of "everything is working fine"  ??? :D

dlarson54

$35 per month That's why! I have to use Comcast router and pay extra for Static IP. I want to pay as near to nothing as possible.

SteveInWA

Fine.  If you previously edited your OBiTALK settings to define a static IP address, go back and delete it and just use DHCP, which is the default.  There is no reason to need a static IP address, unless you are running a website.

zorlac

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 24, 2019, 03:53:21 PM
Fine.  If you previously edited your OBiTALK settings to define a static IP address, go back and delete it and just use DHCP, which is the default.  There is no reason to need a static IP address, unless you are running a website.
He would pay $35/mo for his obi being at a fixed IP address?  ???

SteveInWA

Zorlac:  ISPs charge a fee to host a dedicated, fixed IP address, vs. just getting whatever random IP address is assigned by their DHCP service.

dlarson54:  it doesn't matter what kind of router you use.  I can't think of a nicer way to say this, but the large majority of your questions have been so basic and obvious that perhaps you do not have the technical ability (or initiative to simply look things up yourself) to operate this equipment, and you should get your phone service from a bundled provider, and give up on DIY.

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 24, 2019, 05:03:44 PM
Zorlac:  ISPs charge a fee to host a dedicated, fixed IP address, vs. just getting whatever random IP address is assigned by their DHCP service.
I dunno, I run my own modem & router with Comcast & my obi's on a fixed IP like all my printers too. No extra fee.

SteveInWA

Quote from: zorlac on January 24, 2019, 05:20:14 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on January 24, 2019, 05:03:44 PM
I dunno, I run my own modem & router with Comcast & my obi's on a fixed IP like all my printers too. No extra fee.

No, that is not what is meant in this context.  Consumer/residential broadband service allows you to be assigned one IP address from your ISP's DHCP servers.  YOUR router then uses that IP address on its WAN side to connect to the Internet.  YOUR router has its own DHCP for its private LAN.  You are thinking of those private LAN addresses, which your ISP has no visibility to, nor cares how many there are.

In this context, "Fixed IP" is a IP address that is dedicated to your account.  When you connect your router to their network, it will always have the same public IP address.  Businesses may need a fixed IP address if they're running a web server or anything else that needs to be found by other things on the Internet.

Why dlarson54 believes s/he needs a fixed IP address is yet another mystery.

zorlac

Thanks Steve!
I thought I was confused here, now I get it.  ;)

RFC3261

Quote from: zorlac on January 24, 2019, 04:51:47 PM
Quote from: dlarson54 on January 24, 2019, 03:08:29 PM
I have to use Comcast router
Why?
The way Comcast provisions external static IPs is they use a protocol (RIP) that requires them to fully control the CPE (user endpoint) because of the authentication requirements.  You cannot use your own device, you must use their router.  There are many reasons to want/need static IP's other than running your own servers, but if you need the static IP you should know why you need it.

dlarson54

SteveInWA no offense taken but the search function and documentation is on the one hand narrow and on the other nonexistant.  Obihia, if I am not mistaken, is basically a DIY product. Much of the documentation is coded in the language of a proficient telephone installer. The most difficult product is hardly supported at all in this forum. The 200/202 is nearly completely different than the 504/508. In that regard I feel like a ginny pig. The 500 series needs a separate subcategory. The 500 series needs documentation. I often find that upper level participants do not know answers to questions. I do very much appreciate your help. Please don't get me wrong. Tech support from Obihia is nonexistant. Clearly, your point is well taken but I do research a question before I ask but am not perfect. I have my system up and running and because my needs are simple I am doing good enough but there are issues. I will never completely use the full functionality of the 508 but would be afraid to attempt to use it if I needed it. I am successful in saving $200 per month in my business but wish it did not take me 10 months picking away at it part-time to go live. I would like to see something like the documentation in coding in the context of the Administrators document which is the most useful of all sources. There have been times when I have had to suggest the Obihia tech support use it. As you can see there is much anger. This is all relatively simple but without a central organizing interest everything is beta.

giqcass

First you are paying way too much for a static IP if that's monthly (IMHO).  My ISP only charges $6 per month last I checked.  All you should need to do is call your internet provider and tell them to cancel it. 

Second your OBI won't care.  A static WAN IP has nothing to do with your OBI devices operation unless you are routing incoming sip traffic to a WAN IP address.  You would have needed to set that up yourself.  No average internet user needs a static WAN IP from their internet provider.
example:  yoursipusrrname@13.56.47.96   If you are doing that you can replace a static WAN IP with dynamic DNS.  I use this for advanced routing options and it works great.

Finally you got one thing right.  The search function in this forum sucks.  It always has.  Here is a pro tip.  Go to Google type you search terms and then add the following line.
site:http://www.obitalk.com/forum
Long live our new ObiLords!

Jess302

By default, you really don't need a static IP address
Using dynamic IPs is better in this case...

giqcass

Quote from: Jess302 on May 08, 2019, 04:09:31 PM
Using dynamic IPs is better in this case...
It's cheaper but otherwise how is it better?
Long live our new ObiLords!