News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up Distinctive rings for 2 Google Voice Numbers.....

Started by ChordCutter, January 25, 2019, 08:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChordCutter

So I have had a GV account for a while forwarded to my cel phone and have a GV number I use for random situations i don't want give out my mobile number. Stuff like Craig's List, etc....

Recently I upgraded my internet and ditched my land line, I ported my old land line number to the same google voice account. So now I have a primary and secondary google voice number. It's all working well with a Obi202.

Is there any way I can setup the Obi202 to have a distinctive ring tone for each number?

When the Obi202 rings I'd like to know if it's the the old land line ringing or the junk line. GV won't let me use my cel phone number for two separate GV accounts, so I had to port the land line to the same GV account.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

SteveInWA

Sorry, but no.

When you have two inbound Google Voice phone numbers on one Google account, all inbound calls to either number are treated exactly the same way:  they forward to the same linked / forwarding destinations, and they hear the same voicemail greeting, and messages end up in the same place.

OBiTALK devices authenticate to a Google account, not to a Google Voice phone number, so your device has no idea which number is being used. 

If you want to use the numbers independently, then transfer one of the two numbers to a different Google account.  The transfer-to account cannot already have a Google Voice number before the transfer.

See:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#googlexfer

ChordCutter

Thanks for the reply, I kind of figured that out.

I don't care about TXT's on the old land line, but would really like the old landline to ring my cel phone if someone calls.

If I transferred one of the GV #'s to a GV account linked to another land line, could I have the OBI transfer the call to my cel phone if someone calls.

It wouldn't be as good as GV doing it, but would get the job done...

SteveInWA

I don't understand your reply, sorry.

When an inbound Google Voice phone number is called, Google Voice simultaneously forwards that call to:

• Up to six different 10-digit US phone numbers (known as linked or forwarding numbers)
  • All Google Voice web clients (new feature)
  • All Google Voice Android or iOS clients (new feature)
  • All Polycom OBiTALK clients

ChordCutter

OK I think I got it......

So could I create a 2nd GV account with my parents home phone number.

Port one of the GV numbers to that account.

Then just add my cel phone as a forwarding number for that GV account?

I just wouldn't want my parents getting those calls, but if the calls were only forwarded to my Obi and my cel phone I would be all set. 

I would have the problem of my my parents calling that old land line, GV wouldn't like that because it would be like calling yourself.

ChordCutter

I should add the reason why I have to do this is because my cel phone was already setup as my 1st GV account, and I can not use it to create two accounts. I want one of the GV numbers to send me TXT's so i has to be listed as a mobile number.

SteveInWA

No, you still don't get it.  So I am just going to tell you what to do.  Ready?

Assumptions:  you now have one Google account (a Gmail address and password).  That one Google account has two Google Voice numbers.  It's unclear, but if both of those numbers were originally ported-in, then they are currently considered "permanent" numbers, meaning that Google will not delete them for lack of use, and that you can flip/flop the "primary" vs. "secondary" roles for those numbers.  All inbound calls to either of the two numbers will ring on your OBiTALK device(s).  All outbound calls will send the caller ID of the primary number.  Note that both of the Google Voice numbers must be in permanent status.  You cannot do this procedure if your original number was a freebie from Google, and it is now in pending-delete status.

Further assumptions:  You want to be able to separate handling of inbound calls made to those two Google Voice numbers.

Solution, which does NOT involve your parents or anyone else:

• Create another Gmail account.
  • Pick one of the two Google Voice numbers now on the existing account, as the number you want to remain associated with that account.
  • Transfer, not port the other Google Voice number to the Gmail account you just created.
    Carefully read, understand and then follow the instructions, here:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#googlexfer
  • Assuming you already have an OBiTALK device, with Google Voice provisioned on SP1, then open a laptop/desktop web browser, and press Ctrl-Shift-P if you're using Firefox, or press Ctrl-Shift-N if you're using Google Chrome Browser or Safari, to open a "private" or "incognito" browsing window.
  • In that window, sign into only the one Google/Gmail account that has the newly-transferred number.  Go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings and confirm that you are in the right account, by looking at the Google Voice number at the top of the page.  If it isn't there, close the window and open another private/incognito window, and sign into the correct account.
  • Press Ctrl-T on that private/incognito browsing window to open a second tab.  In that tab, go to your OBiTALK dashboard:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev.
  • Click on your OBi device, then click on SP2 (the currently-empty SPx that you want to use for this second number), and follow the instructions to add it.  When the pop-up window appears, asking your permission to authorize OBiTALK to use the second Google account, look closely at the Gmai user ID, and make sure it's using the correct account.
  • If you used SP1 for the first GV number, and SP2 for the second GV number, you will hear a distinctive ring for SP2.

ChordCutter

Thanks, that all worked. I now have two GV accounts, one with my old GV number, and one with my old landline number. They both have different rings on the same Obi Device.

The thing I lost, and not sure I can do is, only one GV account can forward calls to my cel phone, because GV won't let me add my cel phone to the 2nd GV account.

I'd like to have both GV accounts send the calls to my cel phone, but when I try to add it to the other one, GV tells me its already registered to another account. One GV account needs to get txt messages, one doesn't, that presents me from calling the cel phone number a Home or work phone.

Thats why I asked if I could have obi forward the calls instead of GV, to work around GV not letting me add my cel phone to two different GV accounts.