News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PSTN extension over Ethernet

Started by timgineer, January 30, 2019, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timgineer

I need to extend the PSTN from one location to another using ethernet. Can I do this with a Obi-202 and an ObiLine on one end and a Obi-202 on the other end? Any hints on how to configure each end?

Thanks in advance.

Sheffield_Steve

Are you just trying to use the cable or are you expecting to use all the Ethernet infrastructure. Switches, etc.

If you are just wanting to use the existing Ethernet cabling then there are adapters available, but you need to be very careful if you are to avoid damaging things and of course the phone signals cannot transverse switches, etc.

azrobert

I'm doing what you want with an OBi200 and an OBi110. It's an easy setup. You route calls over the OBiTalk network to the other device.

Do you already have the hardware? A lot of people have had problems (echos and static) with the OBiline adapter. I don't know if these problems have been fixed with new firmware. You can also use an OBi212 or an OBi110. The OBi110 doesn't support GoogleVoice. It's available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi110-Service-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548903306&sr=8-1&keywords=OBi110

You need to decide how to identify calls you want to route to PSTN. I use a "9" prefix. Post which numbers (7, 10, 11 or other digits) you want to route and I'll show you how.

drgeoff

Unless you want more than you have written the cheaper Obi200s can be used in place of the OBi202s.

timgineer

I unfortunately need need to use "all the Ethernet infrastructure".

I have not yet ordered hardware for fear that I would order the wrong thing.

If I have to dial a 9 prefix to dial out, how are incoming phone calls from the PSTN handled?

For extra extra credit (should you want any) is it possible to have an incoming call from the PSTN ring multiple remote OBi200's?

drgeoff

Quote from: timgineer on January 31, 2019, 12:36:40 PM
I unfortunately need need to use "all the Ethernet infrastructure".

I have not yet ordered hardware for fear that I would order the wrong thing.

If I have to dial a 9 prefix to dial out, how are incoming phone calls from the PSTN handled?

For extra extra credit (should you want any) is it possible to have an incoming call from the PSTN ring multiple remote OBi200's?
You do not need a prefix if the OBi200(s) will only be calling PSTN numbers.

To answer a PSTN call you just need to lift the handset of a phone plugged in to an OBi.

Yes you can have up to 4 OBis. Any one of them can make or answer a call.

timgineer

So with a little bit of advice I ordered 4 OBi-212's because they have the FXO port built in and were recommended by Obi support. I likely could have purchased a single 212 and 3 - 200's because I only need one PSTN connection. Is there a configuration guide or a few hints for how to configure them once they arrive or will it be immediately obvious?

azrobert

1st add all your devices to the OBiTalk portal. All your devices will be listed on the dashboard.

You need to use OBi Expert to make configuration changes to all the OBi212's.

This is how to enter and use OBi Expert:
From the OBiTalk dashboard click Edit Profile on the left column.
At the bottom of the page check "Enable OBi Expert..."
Click Submit Query.
Now you can go directly to OBi Expert from the dashboard by clicking on the ICON with the red E to the right of an OBi212.
If you don't enable the OBi Expert button, you need to Click on the gear ICON, select OBi Expert, confirm and select OBi Expert again.  

To navigate click on the titles with the + then click on a sub-title.
An example: click on Service Providers then click ITSP Profile A General.
To make a change BOTH boxes to the right of the value must be unchecked.
When all changes are complete on this page, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
OBiTalk will download the configuration changes to the OBi and reboot it.
Wait until this process is complete before continuing to make changes on a different page.

The OBi212 connected to PSTN is OBi1.
The others are OBi2, OBI3 and OBi4.
The following assumes you are using only PSTN and don't have another service provider defined.

OBi1:

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Services -> InboundCallRoute: li

This will route outbound calls from the other devices to Line.
After you get this working we can make this more secure with additional rules.

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> Primary Line: PSTN Line
This is the default for the OBi110.
I'm not sure for the OBi212.

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> InboundCallRoute:
ph,pp(510222222),pp(510333333),pp(510444444)

Replace 510222222 with the OBi Number of OBi2.
Replace 510333333 with the OBi Number of OBi3.
Replace 510444444 with the OBi Number of OBi4.
This will route inbound calls to the phone port and the other 3 devices.

OBi2, OBi3 and OBi4:

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Services -> InboundCallRoute: ph

This will route inbound PSTN calls from OBi1 to the Phone port

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> Primary Line: PSTN Line

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> OutboundCallRoute
The 1st rule is: {([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp}
Change it to: {(<510111111*>(Mpli)):pp}

Replace 510111111 with the OBi Number of OBi1.
This will route outbound calls to OBi1 via the OBiTalk network.

All devices:
Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> DigitMap

All routing is based on matching rules in the Line DigitMap
(Mpli) points to the Primary Line's (Line Port) DigitMap
This DigitMap contains rule "xx." which will match 1 or more digits, so will match any number dialed.
You might want to change this DigitMap to explicitly match the numbers you will dial.

The OBi110 default also has these rules:
xxxxxxxS4  Match 7 digits with a 4 second delay
1xxxxxxxxxx Match 11 digits beginning with "1"

timgineer

Thank you. I have ordered them and they are on their way.