News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Stopping robocalls

Started by pigmalien, February 06, 2019, 03:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigmalien

Hello, a couple of questions if I may.

With my number transfer I'm seeing a sudden influx of robocalls which is actually costing me on my new plan so I'm wondering what I can do to mitigate that.

So my questions are:

• Can my Obi200 prompt the caller to input a number to continue?
  • If so, can it be set up to only apply to the Sp2 channel?
  • Then finally, will that even matter to the service provider? In other words who does the call go through first?

Thanks

azrobert

You can use the Auto Attendant to block these calls. The AA has 3 options (ring the phone, make a new call and callback). These options can't be changed. You need to change the initial prompt to something like "Enter 1 to complete your call" then delete all the other prompts. You also have to make changes to have options 2 and 3 fail if accidentally selected.

This can be setup only on SP2.

The AA is answering the call, so you will be charged.

You can define a white list of known numbers to bypass this procedure.

NoMoRobo is a free service that will block some robo calls.  Some robo callers use spoofed callerids. These can't be blocked by NoMoRobo. You can't use the AA and NoMoRobo together.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Edit:
NoMoRobo will also answer the call, so you will be charged. The advantage is people don't have to listen to a prompt and enter 1. The disadvantage is some robo calls will get thru.

pigmalien

Unfortunately my service is not supported by nomorobo.
On the other hand they, Callcentric offers the dial prompt so at least that is available.

Thanks for the information.

Sheffield_Steve

Callcentric has "Call treatments" that can redirect spam calls to a number disconnected tone (At no charge) or to voicemail.  (for a charge)

Quote from: pigmalien on February 06, 2019, 05:07:57 PM
On the other hand they, Callcentric offers the dial prompt so at least that is available.

pigmalien

Ah, looks like they can work together in priority.
Nice.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Actually, yes; you can use nomorobo with Callcentric.  Just tell nomorobo that you're using Vonage.  They don't care.

azrobert

An unsupported provider can still use NoMoRobo. Just lie and pick a supported provider. I think I picked Vonage. Callcentric can simul-ring NoMoRobo with a call treatment. You can route the call using an SIP URI, so you won't get charged. Any OBi can also route calls to NoMoRobo.

SteveInWA

Which is exactly what I just posted.

pigmalien

I think I got it sorted now.

Thanks all.

Shinelikethunder

I'm using Google Voice and Callcentric. GV forwards calls to Callcentric for Caller ID and call treatments. I had Nomorobo configured in the OBi202 using
X_InboundCallRoute: {ph,sp3(MyNomoroboNumber@switch.starcompartners.com;ui=$1)}
However, I suddenly started getting a number of calls listed as "From '410' SP3(410)" in the call log. These would ring for a long time, and nobody was on the other end if I answered. I assume from the call log that these are coming from, or through, switch.starcompartners.com, is that correct? I switched to put the fork to Nomorobo in a Callcentric call treatment, but Nomorobo doesn't seem to be able to call my phone to verify that the configuration is working. Is there a way to verify the Callcentric Nomorobo configuration? Alternatively, can I revert to my previous configuration and stop the "410" calls by setting the SP3 X_InboundCallRoute to blank? Thanks.

Taoman

Quote from: Shinelikethunder on December 06, 2019, 09:03:47 PM
I assume from the call log that these are coming from, or through, switch.starcompartners.com, is that correct?

Unlikely. They are most likely SIP scanners coming in on SP3. Under Voice Services for SP3 put a checkmark next to X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly.

Post exactly how you made your Callcentric call treatment using Nomorobo.

Shinelikethunder

Quote from: Taoman on December 07, 2019, 06:52:59 AM
Post exactly how you made your Callcentric call treatment using Nomorobo.

Hi Taoman,

I think I found the problem. I have the AVR "telemarketer block" enabled in that call treatment also. If I remove it, Nomorobo successfully verifies my number. I want callers who aren't in my phone book to go through the AVR, and then through Nomorobo to catch telemarketers who press 1 to connect. Maybe I'll just have to remember to switch the "Telemarketer Block" option if I need to verify that Nomorobo is working.

I can't figure out how to paste an image of the call treatment, nor how to fully describe it. It handles calls from and to all numbers, includes an AVR telemarketer block and redirects calls to simultaneous ringing of extension 100 and the Nomorobo number for 40 sec.

I haven't gotten any more '410' calls since I removed the fork to SP3, but I'll make the change you recommended to SP3 just to be sure.

Thank you very much for your help.