News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV messes with things again

Started by helpful55, February 11, 2019, 04:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpful55

Once again GV is messing with things, messing us up, not warning us and not helping with it. I use my 'old' obi with a callcentric number. I use the callback feature which works fine for me. And the incoming uses that to connect to GV so I can answer on my cordless. I do not want to do pc phone calls. Today my phone won't call out and GV is asking to use my 'microphone'. I was able to go to legacy to still call out, but the incoming went to my pc and not my phone. I don't know who else has this problem but I thought I'd give this info how to fix it. https://techhelphome.wordpress.com/2019/02/09/google-voice-changes-feb-2019/

SteveInWA

Never believe what you read on some random person on the internet's blog.  It's junk.  Go to the source.  All you had to do was visit the Google Voice help forum to understand what's happening.

Google has been pouring piles of money and developers at Google Voice for the past two years.  The entire infrastructure has been replaced (servers, network, carrier routes, etc), the iOS and Android apps have been replaced, the website was replaced.  It's a greatly improved service now, with current and future development focused on VoIP, not PTSN improvements.  Note that the migration of OBiTALK devices from XMPP to SIP was part of this effort.  Inbound calls, for example, now forward to Android and iOS clients, webpage clients and Polycom OBiTALK clients on the same VoIP infrastructure.

The most significant change since the service was first offered has just now finished rolling out to all users:  no more need for Google Hangouts; you can now make and receive telephone calls over the Internet (WiFi/Ethernet/4G VoIP).  There is no longer any reason to use Hangouts for calling or text messaging.

As part of that change, the default on the Google Voice website is to now use your browser to make calls over VoIP.  If you don't want that, then simply go to Google Voice settings and toggle the switch to go back to the carrier-based method.  If that setting is currently grayed-out for you, then sign out of your Google/Gmail account, clear the browser's cache, cookies and history, close and reopen the browser, and try again; it may take another day for it to be activated.

READ:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/7649189?hl=en&ref_topic=1708123