News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBi110 dead after 1 hour

Started by GS135, September 20, 2011, 12:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GS135

Opened my OBi110 box today, took it out and set it up with Google Voice. Made and received a call to test out that it worked. Walked away and came back 1 hour later and it is completely dead.
Dead as in: No dial tone, No power light, No lights or activity of any kind.
OBi Dashboard shows the device status as "Offline".

If relevant, my home outlets (I've plugged the unit into a few to verify not a bad outlet) is:
Voltage: 110-120 Volts (U.S./Canada)
Primary Socket Types: North American Non-Grounded , North American Grounded

Been searching the forums and Google a bit. Haven't seen a single post with this type of problem. Hoping I'm missing something simple. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ostracus

Hopefully not a bad power supply either.

GS135

Update:
I left the unit unplugged for a few hours, then plugged it back in and still zero activity.
I grabbed a voltmeter and am not reading any voltage out of the 12V/1A out switching adapter.
Have seen some complaint posts whilst searching the forum for help, concerning humming/static issues possibly related to the power adapter, but no posts that the adapter had outright failed.

DaveSin

Quote from: GS135 on September 20, 2011, 06:51:56 AM
Update:
I left the unit unplugged for a few hours, then plugged it back in and still zero activity.
I grabbed a voltmeter and am not reading any voltage out of the 12V/1A out switching adapter.
Have seen some complaint posts whilst searching the forum for help, concerning humming/static issues possibly related to the power adapter, but no posts that the adapter had outright failed.

GS135:

You should contact OBiSupport immediately to let them know of the issue and possible resolution.  If you brought the device from Amazon, you should be able to have them replace the unit ASAP.

jseymour

I know it's cold comfort, GS135, but "infant mortality" in electronics products has been a fact of life ever since I've been in the field, and I've had my fingers in since the days of glow bottles ;)

Your one unit failing is annoying to you (I'd be annoyed, too), but doesn't necessarily indicate there's a quality problem.  I am curious about the "Have seen some complaint posts ... concerning humming/static issues possibly related to the power adapter," though.  That could be indicative of a problem.

Jim