News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help: "Priming" call needed to fix call drop?

Started by jmwolfe, February 23, 2019, 09:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmwolfe

Hi Guys -

I had my wife's OBI1062 IP Phone working pretty well in my old home.  Moved, same internet provider (Verizon, 75Mb/s Up/Down), different Verizon terminal equipment (slightly older, not FIOS), same router (Netgear NightHawk 8xxx).  I got the phone working over wifi -- don't have a good way to run a direct line).

However, it seems when you make outgoing calls, the first one often drops, and then a callback is needed. Once you call back, it seems okay, but it's of course awkward to always having to call twice!

It's as if the circuit/connection needs "warming up" or something.

I'm at the end of my VOIPO contract, and I'm trying to figure out if it's Verizon, isit WIFI, or is it the VOIP provider.

Any tips on how to diagnose or knowledge of what may be causing this?

Thanks!

Jesse

jmwolfe

Update on this: I moved the phone closer to the wifi router, and calls were fine. So it must be the distance from the router or  the wall/ceiling messing with the wifi integrity.

So rather than change SIP providers, I will work on improving the network connection - looking into ethernet over MoCA since the house has cable all wired up.

SteveInWA

You can probably solve this by buying a MoCA to Ethernet adapter, to use with your existing FiOS MoCA network.

See:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833301067