News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 Can receive calls Cannot call out

Started by justus, February 23, 2019, 01:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justus

OBI200 Can receive calls Cannot call out using google voice after apparently successful set up
phone set to touch tone not pulse...I dial number hit talk and dial tone remains.

drgeoff

Are you using the same phone and have it connected to the OBi in exactly the same manner as when you registered the OBi to your dashboard on the portal?

justus

same phone? well, I have a cordless phone that has two stations - the base unit and a station in room where computer is- I may have mixed up the phones on the stations but I am not sure that is what you are getting at. I did a factory reset several times always with the same result - I am connected with GV and can receive calls but when I try to make a call the dial tone remains.
When I called the 5xxxx number I did get the msg - connected to the server. One odd thing is that calling the echo test **9 222-222-2222 number - I only got the dial tone but then when I hung up- the phone rang- I was connected and I was able to do the test successfully- weird.

drgeoff

The OBi should stop sending dial tone to the phone as soon as it receives the first DTMF digit.  Typically when that does not happen it is because there is something wrong with the phone.  However such a faulty phone means the **5 procedure cannot be accomplished.  But you appear to have passed that stage OK.

Do you have an ordinary corded phone that can tone dial?  If yes, plug that in and try the echo test number.

justus

I will locate another phone to test with,but you are correct - when I hit the first star - dial tone goes away, but if I hit a number, any number, dial tone remains.
Another odd fact though - the google voice log shows all the calls I try to make while still getting dialtone and not connecting!!. log shows those calls as though they were successfull.
When I attempt a call from the web GV interface I get the call placed but after 2-3 seconds it disconnects.
hard to figure if issue is with obitalk or GV
I connected phone to my vonage box and it works - i hit a number and dial tone goes away.
Wondering if the obi200 is tripping on numbers because its defect. Will try another phone though just to eliminate that possibility

drgeoff

Can you confirm that your phone or base station is connected directly to the OBi and not via house wiring or any indirect method?

justus

Non cordless phone worked so I carefully analyzed what I was doing on the cordless phone. The dial tone did go away on first key hit but came back later- here's why...

I hope this helps anyone using a cordless VTech phone & going from a vonage box to an obi200 box...

On the vonage box you can hit the VTech talk button - get a dial tone - punch in the number-wait a sec and the call goes through OR you can hit the Talk button a 2nd time and the call will go through BUT on the  obi200 box hitting the talk button a 2nd time hangs up the call and you get an instant dial tone again.
I reckon I tend to think of the talk button on the Vtech phone as a "send" button so I had the habit of hitting talk/send a 2nd time.
Embarassing but figure this may help someone out in same situation some day.

Thank you for your help