News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

The number you dialed has not received a response from the service provider

Started by pissedoffcustomer, March 01, 2019, 01:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pissedoffcustomer

I've been having a problem off and on with my Obi 200 when dialing out using Google Voice.  I receive an error message: 'The number you dialed has not received a response from the service provider.'  I received it during the last 6 calls I've tried placing so I got online and found quite a few posts concerning this problem with no simple solutions.  

Also, when dialing certain numbers, I hear loud static when someone answers.  I have to hang up and call back again.  This is embarrassing, angers the recipient and is more than an annoyance.  In a life or death situation I'd need to have a cell phone handy or risk death.  

The service has become so unreliable I've considered dumping it and going with only cellular internet and phone service.  Are there any other voip providers that are more reliable than Google Voice?  Could the problems be originating from lack of bandwidth or with the Obihai unit itself?

Joselito

I am having the same problem. Restarting the OBi device fixes the issue momentarily,b ut it comes back after a couple of minutes.
I was planning on purchasing additional OBi devices and now I am uncertain due to this persistant problem.

Hope it gets resolved, permanently!

qsman

I noted that my Ethernet ports on my TP-Link were set to Auto Negotiate, I just forced it to 100/full. I know this may not solve this particular issue but as a network engineer I have seen this cause connectivity problems in the field.

I would also like to thank SteveinWA for his very helpful forum posts which have guided me in the past.

To check the OBI side, I copied this from another post
Not making this default seems to cause more problems than anything else. We have seen so many cases where this change has fixed network related and call quality issues (static). By now a pattern has emerged and could be easily addressed.

How to verify the current setting of the OBi's ethernet ports 10 or 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #

At this point the OBiMAN will read back the current value:
0= 10 mb/s
1= 100 mb/s

Switching your OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

Doc_Glenn

I ran that check for ethernet config and was quite surprised to find mine was set to 10 and not 100. I changed it to 100 in hopes of fixing the blast of static disconnect problem - but it appears this was truly a Google problem and has been fixed.
Why on earth would 10 be the default?

SteveInWA

Someone will no doubt correct me or disagree, but I believe that option 27 is a no-op (fidget spinner).  It's undocumented.  It might have dated back to the OBi 100/110 days.  Back in the olden days, when I used 10/100 Mbps switches, I could check the LED color on the Ethernet jack to determine if it was 10 or 100.  All my network equipment is gigabit now, and the LEDs just indicate gig vs. 100/10 speed (same color for 100/10).  If you have a device that displays the Ethernet speed for each port, you could verify whether or not the option 27 is doing anything.

zapattack

This option change killed my 200!
I now only have an occasional red flash from the power light, nothing else.
Will have to find most recent backup and hope I can remember config changes since then.

SteveInWA

Whuuuuuuut???   Did you enter that option on an otherwise working device, and it bricked?

zapattack

About two years of service on unit.
Many reboots over its life due to changes in SPs and dial plan with no problem.
Red light flashed after this reboot, then nothing for a long time,
then only an occasional flash.
Pushed reset while powered on, no change in flash.
Held reset while powering on, same occasional red flash.
But my 110 is till running fine....

SteveInWA

So, just a coincidence, unrelated to the 27 setting.

Did you try using the power supply from the 110 to run the 200?  They are interchangeable.  If it still fails, then it's hammer time.

zapattack

110 supply has lower rating.
Would not even power red flashes.
Moving on.....