News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing Calls

Started by DonnaC, March 03, 2019, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnaC

This is going to sound silly, but how do I make an outgoing call?

I set up my Obi yesterday, and I'm receiving incoming calls fine (Obi even told me to press "1" to receive the call), but when I try to make a local outgoing call, all I get is a dial tone. Do I need to do more than dial the 10 digit telephone number?

I'm using Google Voice to interface my Obi with a Uniden touch-tone phone.

Second question: is there an Obi User Guide that goes beyond setting up the Obi and deals with  the nitty-gritty of using Obi (like how to make a call)?

=>Donna

drgeoff

Quote from: DonnaC on March 03, 2019, 08:55:36 AM
This is going to sound silly, but how do I make an outgoing call?

I set up my Obi yesterday, and I'm receiving incoming calls fine (Obi even told me to press "1" to receive the call), but when I try to make a local outgoing call, all I get is a dial tone. Do I need to do more than dial the 10 digit telephone number?

I'm using Google Voice to interface my Obi with a Uniden touch-tone phone.

Second question: is there an Obi User Guide that goes beyond setting up the Obi and deals with  the nitty-gritty of using Obi (like how to make a call)?

=>Donna
Dialling the 10 digit number should be sufficient.  Exactly what happens?  Eg silence, tone, spoken message, etc?

DonnaC

I dial the 10-digit number, and all I get is a dial tone. The call doesn't connect.

drgeoff

Quote from: DonnaC on March 07, 2019, 10:56:09 AM
I dial the 10-digit number, and all I get is a dial tone. The call doesn't connect.
I asked you to say exactly what happens but you didn't give any more detail.

Does the initial dial tone (on taking the phone off-hook) remain completely unchanged as you dial and afterwards? Or does it go away and come back again?
  Or go away and a different dial tone, or a tone like but not the same as dial tone come?

If the initial dial tone never goes away the most common reason is that the phone is pulse dialling. OBis do not support pulse dialling. You must use a phone that sends TouchTones.

DonnaC

Sorry, drgeoff, I wasn't sure what you were driving at with your question.

When I pick up my Uniden handset, I get a dial tone. When I dial, there's silence in the handset. When I'm finished dialing, and I press the talk button, I get a dial tone again. So, the dial tone is present when I pick up the handset, the dial tone goes away while I'm dialing, but the dial tone returns after I'm finished dialing. There is no difference in the sound of the dial tone.

Thanks.

=>Donna

SteveInWA

You are simply not using the cordless phone properly.  It is not a cell phone.  Do not press the talk button again, after dialing the number.  That's placing the first call on hold and giving you the second dial tone.

Do one of these two things, but not both at the same time, to place a call:

• With the phone handset in your hand, enter the phone number on its keypad, then press the talk button.  The phone will dial the number.  OR,
  • With the phone handset in your hand, press the talk button to get the dial tone, then enter the phone number and simply wait for the call to complete.