News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 needs frequent reboot to restore GV service?

Started by UserKL, March 08, 2019, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UserKL

Is it just me or did the Polycom purchase of Obihai coincide with frequent GV connection drops? I've been finding my obi losing service frequently and needs to be rebooted each time. Wondering if this is my issue or a wider pattern noticed by other users as well? I never had this problem before the Polycom firmware transition.

managerharry

Yes.  Google voice service used to be rock solid.  Nothing but problems since late 2018.

drgeoff

Quote from: managerharry on April 02, 2019, 02:08:43 PM
Yes.  Google voice service used to be rock solid.  Nothing but problems since late 2018.
I'l repeat what I've written more than once previously.

After you use the Obitalk portal to configure your OBi device to work with GV, there are no servers or network links run by or on behalf of Obihai/Polycom/Plantronics that play any part in making or receiving GV calls.  All call set up signalling and call audio is between your OBi device and GV's infrastructure.

DavidG

Quote from: drgeoff on April 02, 2019, 03:01:12 PM
Quote from: managerharry on April 02, 2019, 02:08:43 PM
I'l repeat what I've written more than once previously.

After you use the Obitalk portal to configure your OBi device to work with GV, there are no servers or network links run by or on behalf of Obihai/Polycom/Plantronics that play any part in making or receiving GV calls.  All call set up signalling and call audio is between your OBi device and GV's infrastructure.
But if the obi device is at fault, that doesn't really matter, does it? After struggling with this for over a year, I finally decided to try a new obi200. Bad move. Still a problem, though it wasn't immediately clear that the problem was just as bad (depends on whether someone tries to call while the obi is out of touch). By the time it was obvious that the new one wasn't any better, it was past the return window. Money down the drain. I've moved on; now I'm paying a little for service, but it promises at least to be reliable. (Yes, it's possible that the fault is at google's end, but it makes no difference. The obi is advertised and sold on the strength of its integration with GV. If that doesn't work, the obi is useless to me.)