News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Alternate devices possible via s/w ?

Started by vtsnaab, September 20, 2011, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

As a soon-to-be former skype user I must offer my most positive congrats - kudos - both thumbs UP to the OBihai folks for an absolutely brilliant product so wonderfully executed and presented !!!

My OBi110, even after just a few hours of usage is poised to be the COOLEST tech buy I've ever made.
(Truly, the hardest part of making it work was getting it plugged into the network because of MY cable mess - getting from 'plugged in' to 'making & getting calls via GV' was a pure delight.)

I do have a bit of sadness however, because in my previous efforts to make skype more phone-like some hardware came into use which I hope can somehow be 'taught' or tweaked into working with my OBi110...

The very best cordless phone I've ever bought happens to be the Cisco-Linksys CIT200; and to get cordless use at home I have a D-link DPH-50U - is there any magic which may allow either of these to work along with the OBi110 ?

RonR

Any device that has an FXS port (simulates a telephone line and expects a telephone set to be connected to it) can probably be plugged into the OBi's LINE Port (FXO).

RonR

It's also possible to interface your Skype account to the OBi by using software running on your PC:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1196.0

Ostracus

Quote from: RonR on September 20, 2011, 04:23:44 PM
Any device that has an FXS port (simulates a telephone line and expects a telephone set to be connected to it) can probably be plugged into the OBi's LINE Port (FXO).

Well except for the "soon to be, former" part, no I don't think he can reuse.

vtsnaab

Thanks, but none of these replies relate to the hardware I have, and yes - FORMER skype user is a goal as well.

Partially my posting is at fault as I should have included that both the Cisco-Linksys CIT200; and the D-link DPH-50U are USB to PC devices and do not simulate FXS.

If someone else has a suggestion pertinent to this exact h/w I would appreciate if you will share it ?!

Ostracus

Quote from: vtsnaab on September 20, 2011, 04:45:31 PM
Thanks, but none of these replies relate to the hardware I have, and yes - FORMER skype user is a goal as well.

Partially my posting is at fault as I should have included that both the Cisco-Linksys CIT200; and the D-link DPH-50U are USB to PC devices and do not simulate FXS.

If someone else has a suggestion pertinent to this exact h/w I would appreciate if you will share it ?!

Well the honest answer for what you have is to sell on Ebay and recoup your money. Then as far as a good cordless phone I recommend one of the Panasonics. And of course IMHO.

RonR

I thought you plugged a telephone into a DPH-50U and incoming Skype calls would cause it to ring.