News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Registering Obi302 to CUCM

Started by Squish, March 11, 2019, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squish

Hello! Recently I became frustrated with the ATA190 from Cisco, and decided to find an alternative. The Obi302 looked like it would work, but now that I have it I see it is a little more complicated than I had anticipated to get it provisioned. I also can't find anyone else who has done this... :o

On initial configuration I was pretty pleased. LLDP picked it right up and it received an IP as expected. I've tried entering the CUCM IP in as the ITSP proxy server, but nothing seems to be happening. I've also tried manually registering the device in CUCM, but registration status is still "Unknown". 

I realize that this isn't Cisco TAC, and perhaps I need to tackle it from their forums, but considering this is new to me I figured I'd ask the question. Is there anyone out there who has successfully registered an Obi302 with CUCM?

Thanks

SteveInWA

Hi:

I happened to be on the phone today with one of my Polycom contacts, who formerly worked at Cisco and is very familiar with their offerings.

He said that CUCM has some documentation that explains how to use third-party endpoints, and it requires purchase of a license from Cisco to do that.  Once it's licensed, you should be able to use the CUCM proxy. 

I don't have a link to pass on to you, but it's in Cisco's documentation.

Honestly, you may find it cheaper to just buy a Cisco IP phone and use that instead.

Squish

Thanks for the reply. I agree with buying a cheap Cisco phone and calling it good, but I'm just the guy doing the work. Ultimately I may end up buying a Cisco ATA192. This was an attempt to save some money, as we do have quite a few of these devices out there.

I'm going to keep digging when I have time. I am pretty sure we're good on licensing for this. Cisco documentation just isn't much fun to dig through...