News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Few questions before buying Obihai

Started by Bond007, March 11, 2019, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bond007

I am interested in buying Obihai device for home use.

An answer to the below questions will help me to make a decision.

1. Which device support google voice and this support will not be withdrawn in the next few years?

2. How is to contact Obihia support in case of problem/issues?

3. I noticed that your website say's google voice does not support 911, this can be available for a minimum fee. Where I can find details about this one, unfortunately, I did not find the web page for this one.

4. What is a warranty Obihai provided for device and service?

5. How to transfer the current VOIP phone number to google voice?

Thanks in Advance.

Mango

1. The OBi2 series is the latest version that is advertised to have Google Voice support.  However, no one will make any guarantees about a free service's availability over the next few years.

2. Obihai's support has never been particularly good, but post-Polycom takeover we have seen a spike in complaints.  I would not purchase an Obihai product with the expectation of receiving high quality support, or any support at all, when you have a problem.  If you need support, pick a service provider such as Callcentric that will charge a fee for their services, but provide support.

3. It can be purchased from a variety of service providers for varying fees.  Anveo (via OBiTALK), Callcentric ($1.50/month), or GV911 ($12/year).

4. Theoretically a year, but see 2.

5. https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial

Bond007

Lavarock7

When I read through the forums, I notice a lot of issues people are having involve GoogleVoice, rather than some other VOIP supplier.

There are issues with figuring out Googles website, problems porting numbers and in some case having to port to an intermediate provider first, Google suddenly not working for a while and not having an easy way to get support. Then there is the issue that Google wants to handle voicemail. Also, Google Voice is not recommended by them or by many of us as a business service.

For a few dollars a month you can get better service and less hassles. I know the thought of free calls and a free telephone number are alluring, however sometimes it seems that free comes with a cost of time and effort.

Just my 2 cents worth.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

vtsnaab

As an overall situation - we are delighted with our Obi boxes & GV, BUT:
There are twists & exceptions which do apply.

In terms of VOIP, GV does get both thumbs up, while also not being the final solution in that realm.

Worthy of note is that GV has some features which are far ahead of all other providers when viewed as a whole picture rather than the small bits which make that picture, such as=>

- Spam call blocking - fantastic !!
- SMS via email - wow.
- VM transcripts.
- Using the GV numbers as public-facing numbers with appropriate choices made as to forwarding.
- Zero cost.

That having been said - some of our equipment does not work directly with GV, so:
We also have need of using a paid ITSP - and our top choice has been Circlenet.
Sadly, that is more or less scheduled to go away after a while now, so others have been looked at.

With that change on the visible horizon, our 2 top choices for good, low cost VOIP are VOIP.ms & CallWithUs - and a close 3rd is Callcentric.

Getting CWU to work with our Panasonic SIP phone has been a struggle that has eaten both time & funds...but that isn't a likely thing for most folks to have happen, so it is an unusual concern IMO.

VOIP.ms has incredible support IMO, as does Callcentric.
Compared to either landline charges or bundled VOIP from an internet provider, any of the above can be seen as a great win.

As long as our Obi boxes & GV are still getting along, we'll stick with that - and frankly if the Obi2xx goes on sale for a really super price I might consider picking up a spare if that came around sometime soon.

Counting on this to last forever is not a reasonable option IMO - but in contrast to that, even if the time of free GV via Obi ends, our Obi boxes are still great for use via a paid ITSP, if that is the only choice remaining at some later date.

Final thought with this same idea:
If one ONLY wants to mimic a POTS line using VOIP through their internet connection, there are lower cost boxes to be had which work perfectly with a paid ITSP.

Using care in choosing an ITSP is very, very important - as some have pretty good deals but abysmal non-support; others have deceptive deals which are used to entice join-ups - and finally, there ar & have been 'fly-by-night' ITSPs that want yearly payments (for example) which either go up radically later, or just vanish along with the user's funds & services.
So the final word as with ALL buying choices is...
Let the buyer beware.

Best Wishes.

Jess302

I'm planning to buy a telephone adapter for home usage but can't decide whether to choose OBi202 or OBi212...
What are the main differences between them? Can someone give any advice on which one is better?
Thanks!

drgeoff

Quote from: Jess302 on May 09, 2019, 09:10:42 AM
I'm planning to buy a telephone adapter for home usage but can't decide whether to choose OBi202 or OBi212...
What are the main differences between them? Can someone give any advice on which one is better?
Thanks!
The 202 is VoIP only unless you plug the optional (and reportedly discontinued) OBiLINE adaptor.  Up to 4 VoIP accounts.   1 or 2 phone jacks for ordinary analogue phones.

The 212 replaces 1 of the phone jacks with a LINE socket for connection to an analogue phone eg from a telco or PBX.

If you are going VoIP only and won't have a landline the 202 or 200 is sufficient.  If you want to integrate VoIP and landline the 212 is the answer.

ram1220

Maybe I am in the minority here. But I haven't had a single problem with my Obihai 200 or free Google Voice service in the almost 2 years that I have owned it. Crystal clear voice calls and a dial tone every time I pick up the phone. I did sign up with gv911 for $12 per year. But that is my only expense other than the initial Obihai 200 purchase. I got my box on sale so it made the deal even better. I am very happy with my Google Voice service and Obihai 200.

ShazamInForum

To ram1220,

Do not trust GV911, not a trusted source for your emergency calls services.  See SteveInWa's comment here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12637.0