News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 w/ Google Voice - can't make or receive - troubleshooting finds nothing

Started by Sackofchunks, March 14, 2019, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sackofchunks

I can't figure it out and I'm not sure if this is an Obihai (OBI200) problem or a Google Voice problem.  Calls out to the test # work, including the echo back.  If I call my Google Voice phone number, it does not ring at the residence but does on my PC and eventually goes to Google voicemail.  If I call out from residence phone connected to the OBI200, the call does not go through (doesn't do anything other than the dial tone stops presenting).  I'm deadended on the troubleshooting guide (https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/troubleshooting).

All OBI200 lights are green, middle light blinks irregularly (which as I recall is normal).  Obitalk online console says Google Voice is connected as SP1.  Firmware is: 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX).

Miscellaneous: I have recently ported a phone number to GVoice but it was working fine for a couple weeks; the phone number I reference at the top is the one I called.

Thx for ideas.  There are a ton of configuration settings so if nothing else please help me get to my wit's end  as quickly as possible.

SteveInWA

That is a very old firmware build, which will not work with Google Voice.

Short answer:

Pull the power plug on the device.  Sign into your OBiTALK portal/dashboard.  Delete the entire device off of the portal.

Plug in just the telephone cord and the power cord, wait for it to boot up, pick up the phone key in ***8 then 1 to confirm resetting to factory defaults.  Wait, and wait some more, until it finishes.  Power it off again.  Plug in the Ethernet cable.  Power it on again.  Add it back to your dashboard by following the **5 procedure.  Re-configure Google Voice on it.

Sackofchunks

EDIT:  I spoke too soon below.  10 min later all is working good.  Maybe it takes some time for GVoice changes to distribute across its VOIP nodes or something.

Thank you.  Did what you described.  Firmware updated, so that's something.  Echo test works, lights green, but the fail on inbound/outbound persists.  Google voice configuration looks right (for example, inbound calls routed to the Obihai).

HardwareVersion
SoftwareVersion
3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)
SystemTime
09:35:48 03/15/2019, Friday
UpTime
0 Days 0:02:05 (3)
CertificatesStatus
Installed
CustomizationStatus
Generic

SteveInWA

Unplug your OBiTALK device.

Use a laptop/desktop computer, running either Firefox or Google Chrome Browser.

Sign into the Google account that (presumably) holds your Google Voice number, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Confirm that you see your Google Voice number at the top of the page.  If not, you either don't have a Google Voice number, or you're signed into the wrong Google account.  IF you can't find it, stop here and reply.

If this is the correct account, with the correct Google Voice phone number, then scroll down the settings page.  You should see an entry for "OBiTALK Device".  If not, you didn't correctly complete the OBi / GV setup.  Scroll down further and confirm that you again see "OBiTALK Device" in the inbound calls section.

If this is correct, then X out of settings and go to the "Calls" section (the little telephone handset).  Click the "Make a call" button.  Assuming your computer has a speaker and microphone or a headset, you should be able to make an outbound phone call over VoIP.  Does that work?  If not, stop and report back.  If so, then have somebody call your Google Voice phone number from some other phone number.  It should ring on your computer.  Does that work?

BlueScreenOfTOM

Just wanted to add a +1 to this solution.  I had my Obi200 unplugged for a few years.  Plugged it back in and re-authorized Google Voice.  It said everything was connected, but nothing was working.  Followed the reset instructions above and now everything is gold.  Thanks Sackofchunks.