News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which Number Gets Answered?

Started by robertp, March 16, 2019, 08:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertp

I have an Obi202 setup with a Google Voice number as SP1 and a Callcentric number as SP4. The Callcentric number is listed as a forwarding number in the GV setup so I can use it's CNAM Caller ID lookup whenever a call comes in. It works great.

My question is that since both lines are ringing on an incoming call, when I pick up the phone, which line am I connecting to? Am I connecting directly to the GV number, or indirectly through the Callcentric number?

This matters because I'm thinking of switching to voip.ms to replace the Callcentric number, but setup the same way. Voip.ms charges for each incoming call minute.

How do I know which line I connected to when I pick up the phone>

drgeoff

Quote from: robertp on March 16, 2019, 08:46:10 AM.. since both lines are ringing on an incoming call, when I pick up the phone, which line am I connecting to? Am I connecting directly to the GV number, or indirectly through the Callcentric number?
You should not have GV configured to forward calls to both the OBi and Callcentric.

rob613

If you are having both phone ports of an Obi202 ring simultaneously could you perhaps set up the GV service to only ring phone port 1, and set up the other service to only ring port 2?  Then if you answer only on port 1 you would avoid being charged for the incoming call time on port 2. 

If the problem would be what to do when one line is already in use, perhaps the NAME information will still come through on call-waiting-caller-ID to get you half the way there.  That would be if port 2 were already in use I guess by the above.

If you needed to answer a more important call on the other service's port 2 line at least you would be incurring the cost intentionally.  Or perhaps if there is a call-waiting feature on the port 1 line that would be a reason to use that feature.

SteveInWA

There is no reason to have inbound calls ring via a direct SIP connection to Google Voice and via a detour through Callcentric.  It accomplishes nothing useful.

If you want to use Callcentric with Google Voice, then go to Google Voice settings.

https://voice.google.com/settings

I can't see the logic of switching from Callcentric, which has unlimited inbound calls for a dollar per month, t voip.ms, which charges by the minute.

See my screenshots below.