News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[Obi110] Handle masked CID?

Started by Winfried, September 21, 2011, 04:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried

Hello

I don't know what the correct expression is: I meant incoming calls where the caller decided to hide their CallerID information so I don't know who's calling before answering the call.

Since telemarketers usually call with their CID hidden, I'd like to configure the Obi110 so that any incoming call with CID hidden should prompt the user to type a number that I could check on the handset, and simply hang up if the caller doesn't provide a number before the Obi110 times out.

Is there a way to do this with the Obi110?

Thank you.

QBZappy

Hi,

That is not  current feature of the OBi.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Winfried

Too bad :-\

Alternatively, I could run Freeswitch or Yate on my Windows host to take care of this: Has someone successfully used Obi110 to forward calls to Freeswitch to prompt callers with hidden CID?

lhm.

I use this, as I have never answered a blocked cid call that I didn't regret or that I actually wanted to talk with.

Voice services>SPX>AnonymousCallBlockEnable Check.

Everton

Quote from: Winfried on September 21, 2011, 04:54:28 AM
Hello

I don't know what the correct expression is: I meant incoming calls where the caller decided to hide their CallerID information so I don't know who's calling before answering the call.

Since telemarketers usually call with their CID hidden, I'd like to configure the Obi110 so that any incoming call with CID hidden should prompt the user to type a number that I could check on the handset, and simply hang up if the caller doesn't provide a number before the Obi110 times out.

Is there a way to do this with the Obi110?

Thank you.

What you can do is to setup a VOIP provider (Sipgate or Localphone) on say SP2 and another number which only plays a recording like:..."This phone does not accept calls from blocked or unknown callers. Please unblock your phone and try again. Goodbye"

This thread below is a good template:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1258.0

See also this discussion:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,26201749

I have this setup on the OBi110 and after a week or two, I noticed that the unknowns calls stop completely or a few calls in the logs of the destination number.  I live in the states, so I used a free secondary GV account as the forwarding number, but incur a small charge for the SP2 (VOIP.ms) forwarding.

QBZappy

I think the OBi might be able to perform this trick with the new firmware v1.3. Since we can record prompts to the IVR, we should be able to send numbers with no CID to the Auto Attendant. Since we do not leave any instructions to press any buttons the caller should simply hear our message saying "We do not accept calls with blocked CID, you must unblock your number" (or something to that effect). If you use this work around method, you will give up on the ability of using the AA prompts in your language of choice. However the options of pressing 1, 2, or 3 are still there, they are hidden. The options are just not known to the caller. I'm not sure what the AA behavior is if the caller does not hang up. I think the AA repeats three times. After the last repeat I'm not sure if it just disconnects.

RonR is better at figuring out a dialplan which will force callers with no CID to the AA.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Winfried

Quote from: lhm. on September 21, 2011, 06:11:31 AMI use this, as I have never answered a blocked cid call that I didn't regret or that I actually wanted to talk with.

Voice services>SPX>AnonymousCallBlockEnable Check.

Thanks for the info. I guess there's no need to make this more complicated that it needs to be by prompting anonymous callers to identify themselves, as they're very likely to be telemarketers anyway.

Can "AnonymousCallBlockEnable" play a message before hanging up so that the caller knows why the call is being dropped?

RonR

Quote from: Winfried on September 21, 2011, 04:41:40 PM
Can "AnonymousCallBlockEnable" play a message before hanging up so that the caller knows why the call is being dropped?

No.  I believe anonymous calls will get a busy on the SP1/SP2/OBiTALK trunks and ring into the bit-bucket on the LINE Port.

If you truly want to block ALL anonymous calls, *77 will set AnonymousCallBlockEnable on all trunks and *87 will clear it.

QBZappy

Winfried,

You could record any message you wish using above mentioned approach. It is flexible. This is the only way I can think of to get the OBi to play any recorded message to a caller. You must send them to the AA based on some rule. The rules can be liberal or granular, as you can specify with some detail who you would like to send to the AA.

Winfried

Thanks for the tip on combining AnonymousCallBlockEnable with a single message in the AA as a way to block anonymous calls while still providing a message so callers understand why they're not getting through.

QBZappy

Winfried

Quote from: Winfried on September 22, 2011, 02:43:23 AM
Thanks for the tip on combining AnonymousCallBlockEnable with a single message in the AA as a way to block anonymous calls while still providing a message so callers understand why they're not getting through.

I don't think you can combine AnonymousCallBlockEnable and send callers to the AA.

I actually was refering to this post. I should have been more clear.

Quote from: QBZappy on September 21, 2011, 08:55:04 AM
I think the OBi might be able to perform this trick with the new firmware v1.3. Since we can record prompts to the IVR, we should be able to send numbers with no CID to the Auto Attendant. Since we do not leave any instructions to press any buttons the caller should simply hear our message saying "We do not accept calls with blocked CID, you must unblock your number" (or something to that effect). If you use this work around method, you will give up on the ability of using the AA prompts in your language of choice. However the options of pressing 1, 2, or 3 are still there, they are hidden. The options are just not known to the caller. I'm not sure what the AA behavior is if the caller does not hang up. I think the AA repeats three times. After the last repeat I'm not sure if it just disconnects.

RonR is better at figuring out a dialplan which will force callers with no CID to the AA.

Winfried

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I have two more questions:

1. What happens when using the AnonymousCallBlockEnable option: Does the call simply rings forever (preferably without the handset ringing) or does the Obi answers and then hangs up, so that the user gets a BUSY signal?

2. What does firmware 1.3 bring? After receiving the unit, I upgraded it to the latest stable firmware (1.2.1Build: 2384)

------

Edit: The admin PDF says "Anonymous Call Block allows you to block calls from incoming callers when there is no identifying caller ID name or number. Incoming calls will be presented with a busy signal"

lhm.

My inbound comes in through GV and AnonCaller checked does not ring phone attached to the OBi, but after 25 seconds it does go to VM.

RonR

Quote from: lhm. on September 22, 2011, 01:04:14 PM
My inbound comes in through GV and AnonCaller checked does not phone ring phone attached to OBi, but after 25 seconds does go to VM.

That's the nature of Google Voice even though the OBi has returned a busy.  Google Voice ALWAYS answers incoming calls and presents ringback while it's calling the phones in its forwarding list.  Even if they're all busy, Google Voice presents ringback for 25 seconds before going to voicemail.

jimates

Get a second free google voice number and have the Obi fork all of those calls to it. Have the new google voice number send the calls direct to voicemail and record whatever you want as the voicemail message.

Google voice used to have an anonymous call reject option but not any more.