News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Matching Caller ID as SPAM? <original caller ID>

Started by karog, March 19, 2019, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karog

Verizon, for its Digital Voice, is marking suspected spam calls by prepending "SPAM? " to the caller ID information, at least in my area.

Is it possible to match on this in InboundCallRoute? I would like to match and drop such calls.

Digit Maps allow @ to match an alphanumeric chars so I was wondering if something like SPAM@. might work. But is it matched against the Caller ID name as well as the number? If only number, then why is @ allowed? I saw some SIP examples matching URLs. Also, will @ match spaces, ? which follows SPAM, and whatever else might be in the Caller ID name info?

If anyone has any idea how to achieve what I am asking, I would appreciate the help.

BTW, I added SPAM@. to my Line port and at least it did not appear to break anything. I tried calling in from my cell and the call came thru. But I cannot initiate a SPAM test, only wait to see if no more show up.

Thanks.

azrobert

karog

Thanks for the response @azrobert. That is too bad. It would be nice to match on the name as well, even if you had to mark it differently in the rule to indicate the name part.

azrobert

Does Verizon have a simul-ring feature where it will ring your landline and another number?

See:
https://www.nomorobo.com/

If not, you can still use Nomorobo. Your OBi can do the simul-ring. Nomorobo doesn't eliminate all spam, about a third to half for me. Your phone will still ring once before the call is blocked when your provider does the simul-ring and 1 or 2 times when the OBi does the simul-ring.

SteveInWA

Assuming you mean, by "Verizon Digital Voice", that you are a FiOS customer, then yes, Nomorobo supports it.  Just sign up and set it up on their website.  It's free to consumers.

The way it works:  when someone calls your phone number, the call rings your number and the nomorobo number at the same time.  Nomorobo looks at the caller ID.  If that caller ID matches an entry in their database, it answers the call after the first ring, and then hangs up on the caller.  If it doesn't match, then it ignores the call and it will ring as usual on your phone.

Note that some ITSPs also have some form of spam blocking.  If yours does, then you can enable it for "belt and suspenders" redundant checking - sometimes a spam number is on one blocking list, but not the other.  Google Voice has this feature, as does Callcentric.

Note that the major carriers are adopting a new, advanced caller ID authentication system this year, that will cut down on many of the spoofed number calls, but there's no way to detect and block every single spam call.

karog

Thanks for the follow-ups. I thought I would get an email when there were replies but did not so that is why I have not been back recently.

Yes, I have FiOS and I do know about nomorobo and that it is available to me. I just thought it would be useful if I could filter calls on my Obi by matching on Caller ID Name as I can on Caller ID Number. Seems like it would be easy to implement. With all of the number spoofing, matching on numbers is not very effective anymore. I would happily drop any calls where VZ prefixed the CID Name with SPAM?.

I have read some about the new verification tech. As I understand it, it will provide info about whether the number has been verified but not block the number. And only AT&T and Comcast have tested this.

azrobert

You need a PBX to block calls by callerid name. The 2 I know are SipSorcery and Asterisk. SipSorcery service costs $69 per year. Asterisk is free, but you need to implement it on a linux computer.

You got me thinking and I could use this method. I get robo calls from a company that uses different callerids, but always has the same callerid name. I'll have to check if other calls can be blocked with this method. Anyway, I got a working dialplan on SipSorcery. I set it up the same as NoMoRobo. My OBi110 forks the call to a phone port and SipSorcery. SipSorcery sends the call to VM on a match ending the call, otherwise the dialplan rejects the call and the phone port continues to ring.

Asterisk should be relatively easy to setup. Let me know if you're interested.