News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

After lightning storm, no dial-tone, but flickers when it rings

Started by MoeD, July 23, 2020, 06:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoeD

We had a lightning storm yesterday and ever since there's no dial-tone, and the phones have a message that there's no telephone line.

Both lights for the telephone lines on the device are solid green.

When I call the Google voice numbers from the outside, the green lights flicker, but the phones don't ring, and there continues to be no dialtone.

I even tried another phone which was not connected to the device during the storm, and it too doesn't work.

How do I see if this is a problem with the Obi device? Can this be fixed?

Thanks,
Moe

drgeoff

Almost certainly the OBi's phone interface circuit is fried. There is no fix other than another OBi.

You can 100% confirm my diagnosis by acessing the Status, Phone Status via the Expert Mode on the portal at obitalk.com or via the device's on-board web server. With no phone plugged in if the line TipRingVoltage shows a blank or voltage very significantly lower than 48 volts your OBi is effectively dead.

MoeD

Quote from: drgeoff on July 23, 2020, 07:22:10 AM
Almost certainly the OBi's phone interface circuit is fried. There is no fix other than another OBi.

You can 100% confirm my diagnosis by acessing the Status, Phone Status via the Expert Mode on the portal at obitalk.com or via the device's on-board web server. With no phone plugged in if the line TipRingVoltage shows a blank or voltage very significantly lower than 48 volts your OBi is effectively dead.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Can you direct me to the expert mode on the portal? I can't seem to find it.

Also, how do I get to the device's onboard web server?

Thanks!
Moe

MoeD

I found the Expert mode in the portal.

The status is attached.

Fried?

Thanks,
Moe

MoeD

Quote from: drgeoff on July 23, 2020, 09:41:48 AM
'Fraid so.

OK, thanks for all your help.

I just ordered a new one now. This was the OBi202 and I ordered the OBi200.

Is there a guide somewhere to easily switch over to the new one and not lose any of the settings?

Thanks,
MoeD

drgeoff

Quote from: MoeD on July 23, 2020, 10:32:30 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 23, 2020, 09:41:48 AM
'Fraid so.

OK, thanks for all your help.

I just ordered a new one now. This was the OBi202 and I ordered the OBi200.

Is there a guide somewhere to easily switch over to the new one and not lose any of the settings?

Thanks,
MoeD
There is a way to copy some of the configuration settings from one OBi to another but except for really extensive changes from defaults it is easier and quicker just to manually enter what is necessary into the new OBi.

In your case you'll need to add the new OBi to your dashboard - the **5 nnnn procedure - and configure for GV.  There is no shortcut for either of those.  Because you clearly had never used either the Expert mode or the local web server I doubt there was much else, if anything, you had specially configured on your 202.

Suggest you delete the old OBi from both your dashboard and your GV account.