News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming calls ring a few times and then "We could not complete your call..."

Started by WayneB, March 22, 2019, 09:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneB

For several weeks everything was working fine with the Obihai 202 & Google Voice. Then callers started reporting that after about three rings (if the phone was NOT picked up) they received the message "We could not complete your call. Please try again." (All is well if the phone is picked up before this error message is received.) IF THE OBIHAI UNIT IS DISCONNECTED, INCOMING CALLS GO TO GOGGLE VOICE'S VOICEMAIL AS THEY SHOULD!

It appears that some setting in the Obihai must be causing this bad behavior, but no Obihai settings have been changed since the time when everything was working correctly.

I should probably add that I'm using Obihai's OBIWIFI5G WiFi adapter, but that has been used since the beginning...

I hope someone can suggest what Obihai configuration setting(s) may need to be changed in order to eliminate my problem!

Thanks,
Wayne

SteveInWA

...continuing the discussion from the Google Voice help forum:

Given that you now have Google Voice working without the OBiTALK device in the picture, the easiest thing to do, rather then guess which of the hundreds of settings is wrong, is to just restore the device to factory defaults, then set it up again from scratch.  It sounds harder than it actually is.

Follow my instructions exactly, starting with the bullet list, in order, and don't skip any steps.

After you do that, don't take any further steps until posting your results here.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

WayneB

I appreciate the suggestion of resetting the Obihai adapter to its factory condition and then reinstalling it. However, before doing that I'm going to try a somewhat less drastic approach. I have an advantage over some other users in that I have an Obi200 adapter with GV working perfectly at home. I've been comparing the settings on that adapter against those of the Obi202 at the office, attempting to see what might be "messed up" on the office unit.

I'm guessing that my problem is most likely caused by a setting in the SP1 Service (i.e. GV) area. Indeed, on the office adapter there are several settings flagged with red exclamation marks, indicating (I believe) that those are non-default settings:

x_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly (=checked; default=unchecked)
x_KeepAliveEnable (=checked; default=unchecked)
x_KeepAliveMsgType (='custom'; default='keep-alive')
x_CustomKeepAliveMsg (=%0d%0a%0d%0a; default=blank)
x_UserAgentPort (=5080; default=5061)

I'm most suspicious of the x_KeepAliveEnable setting since it seems to be associated with the x_KeepAliveExpires setting of 15 seconds, which is about the time that elapses before callers get the "Cannot complete call..." message!

When I can get back to the office (in a couple of days) I'll try changing at least some of the above settings back to their default values. I'll report the results at that time.

Wayne

SteveInWA

I always advise people to not waste their time trying to manually stare at all the hundreds of variables, looking for the problem(s).  It's time consuming, iterative because you may find one thing and miss another, and it's just not worth it.

It only takes about 5-10 minutes tops to follow my advise and simply start over.  Doing this will automatically download the correct customization for everything that needs to be changed from default.

I have set up a very large number of OBiTALK ATAs and IP phones, so I'm fast, but anyone who can follow instructions should be able to do it easily.

Now, that said, if you insist, I've captured a screenshot of how Google Voice should be configured on the Voice Services-->SPx Service page.

WayneB

Steve,

Thanks for the screenshot! I must apologize - when composing my last message I was looking at the SP service entry for the Anveo 911 service rather than for Google Voice. Now looking at the CORRECT SP service, the settings all seem to be the same between my home system (which works fine) and the office system (which after 2 - 3 rings gives the "Cannot complete call..." message.

The only differences from your screenshot are:

X_ServProvProfile: You have 'D' and I have 'A'
X_InboundCallRoute: You have this blank while I have 'ph'

AFTER SOME ADDITIONAL TESTING I DISCOVERED THAT IF THE OFFICE PHONE IS PUT ON 'HOLD' THEN INCOMING CALLS DO NOT (OF COURSE) RING THE PHONE BUT AFTER ABOUT 7 RINGS THOSE CALL GO TO THE GV VOICEMAIL AS THEY SHOULD.

ONLY INCOMING CALLS THAT RING THE PHONE ABOUT 3 TIMES RECEIVE THE "Cannot compete call.." MESSAGE AND DO NOT GO TO GV VOICEMAIL.

I've checked essentially all the Call Forwarding and any other settings that should have anything to do with picking up calls, and I don't see any differences between my home setup and the one at the office...

I remain perplexed...

SteveInWA

X_ServProvProfile: You have 'D' and I have 'A'

That's because I took a screenshot of my SP4 configuration, and so its service profile is D, not A.

X_InboundCallRoute: You have this blank while I have 'ph'

No, it isn't blank.  I obscured it because that field contains the OBi numbers of my devices.

Do a factory restore.

WayneB

Steve,

I expect it will soon come down to doing a factory reset per your instructions. Just one final thought: The phone in the office is very old and I wonder if it might be incompatible with the Obihai adapter in some way? It almost seems that the Obihai unit doesn't know that the phone is ringing, even though it is! (It DOES know, apparently, that the phone is busy & ends up sending messages to GV voicemail.)

Thanks for all your help,

Wayne

WayneB

Steve,

I was re-reading your instructions for resetting the Obi202. Just one question: You make reference to disconnecting/connecting the Ethernet cable. I'm using the Obi WiFi adapter, so can I assume that unplugging that adapter is equivalent to unplugging the Ethernet cable? (I hope that resetting the Obi202 doesn't also reset the WiFi adapter and disconnect it from the network...)

Wayne

WayneB

I'll be resetting the Obihai unit this afternoon & hoping for the best! Hopefully, the Obi WiFi adapter will stay configured during this process and can be treated in the same way as an Ethernet cable (as far as plugging and unplugging goes).

I'll post the results of the 'reset' this evening...

Wayne

drgeoff

Quote from: WayneB on March 25, 2019, 05:23:20 AM
I'll be resetting the Obihai unit this afternoon & hoping for the best! Hopefully, the Obi WiFi adapter will stay configured during this process and can be treated in the same way as an Ethernet cable (as far as plugging and unplugging goes).

I'll post the results of the 'reset' this evening...

Wayne
Your hope about the Wi-Fi configuration will be dashed. :-(

WayneB

Success! After resetting the Obi202 back to factory settings, everything seems to be working correctly. As expected, I ran into a few "hiccups":

- In step #1 ("Delete Device") I waited a LONG time to make sure the LEDs had really stopped blinking. The instructions mentioned that the middle LED would be flickering, but on my Obi202 only the left-most LED (the power light) was flickering. Since the remaining steps worked, it appears that the device was correctly deleted.

- After going to https://myaccount.google.com/ I did not see an "Apps with account access section". Since I don't any telephony apps other than Google Voice I just continued with the next step in the instructions.

- The Obihai WiFi adapter did have to be reconfigured. I didn't remember the exact procedure for doing this, so a little Googling was require at that point.

Thanks for all your help! I still don't understand why this problem with the Obi202 developed, and I just hope that the device won't have to be reset on a regular basis.

Wayne

SCAZcast

I work in IT although i do not know much about how SIP works. I am encountering a new issue lately. Incoming calls into my OBi200 (with newest firmware) only ring as normal when the my attached cell phone is turned on. If my cell battery dies , the incoming calls into my GV - OBi200 only rings once and does not complete calll even if picked up at first ring.  Any idea why this is happening or how to correct it? 

Taoman

Quote from: SCAZcast on July 23, 2020, 08:07:24 AM
I work in IT although i do not know much about how SIP works. I am encountering a new issue lately. Incoming calls into my OBi200 (with newest firmware) only ring as normal when the my attached cell phone is turned on. If my cell battery dies , the incoming calls into my GV - OBi200 only rings once and does not complete calll even if picked up at first ring.  Any idea why this is happening or how to correct it? 

Since your cell phone is off/unavailable the call gets answered by your cell carrier's voicemail almost immediately.........hence the single ring on your OBi.
You need to set up CCF (conditional call forwarding) on your cell phone and route it back to your Google Voice number. If you click on the link below you should see something next to your cell phone number that says "Activate Google voicemail on this phone." Follow the directions.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones