News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How Obi device really works?

Started by SpringboroGuy, March 18, 2019, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringboroGuy

I have a question.  A few years when I heard Google Voice was going away, so I ported my home number to Phonepower and configured my Obi device to connect to Google Voice on SP1 and Phonepower on SP2.   Thus far, Google Voice is still working.

However, last week, I noticed the Phonepower connection on my device SP2 is saying "Register Failed: 403 From: URI not recognized".  I assume Phonepower is not connected or has not been working.  But, I am able to make and receive calls - no problem.   I'm wondering how my home phone can still be working (i.e making and receiving calls) since Phonepower has not been working on SP2.   Did I actually port my home phone to Phonepower successfully then?    Perhaps, I really don't understand how Obi device works. 

Would someone please explain? 

Thanks!

drgeoff

1. Outgoing calls.  OBi devices use the concept of Primary Line. That is the SP that is used for outgoing calls unless they are specifically routed otherwise by using a **n prefix or by rules in the digit maps and OutboundCallRoute. By default the Primary Line is SP1 for OBi100/200/202/300/302.

2. Incoming calls. Calls to the number assigned by the ITSP you have configured on SP1 will come in on your SP1. Same correspondence for SP2.

SpringboroGuy

That is where I get confused...  If I truly ported my phone number to Phonepower a while ago and Phonepower is not working in SP2, how can I still received calls?   If someone calls my phone number, doesn't it go through Phonepower first and then to my device on SP2?   If my Phonepower configured on SP2 is not working, how do I get the incoming calls?  I could see outgoing calls are working as they go through Google Voice in SP1

That is why I'm getting confused how it would work.  So, that is why I'm wondering if my phone number was ported to Phonepower successfully then.

drgeoff

Assuming you have an OBi200, dial ***1 and note the IP address that is read out to you.  Point a browser at that address and log in using admin and admin.  On the left hand side click on Status and then on Call History.  You will see a list of your calls and details of which SP they were on.

If you have an OBi202, the above will not work.  Further instruction available on request.

SpringboroGuy

I do have Obi200.  I will try this out tonight when I get home.  I'll report what I see.  Thanks for this tip.

SpringboroGuy

In looking at my Call History logs, all calls were initiated from SP1 to PH1 or from PH1 to SP1.  Nothing is showing on SP2, which is expected because the current configuration on SP2 for Phonepower is showing "Register Failed: 403 From: URI not recognized" and is not working.  So, all calls (inbound and outbound) are through SP1.  It appears Phonepower is essentially not existence. 

So, back to my question, if I have ported my phone number to Phonepower which is not working on SP2, how can my Ohi200 device receives and makes call?  It appears the porting to Phonepower was not done or was not done successfully.  What do you think?

Thanks!

drgeoff

Yes, if SP1 is Google Voice it looks like your incoming and outgoing calls are via GV not PhonePower.  You can confirm that by logging in to https://voice.google.com/calls

Taoman

Quote from: SpringboroGuy on March 20, 2019, 04:06:41 AM
It appears the porting to Phonepower was not done or was not done successfully.  What do you think?

Is there a reason you can't just login to your PhonePower account and see what phone number you have assigned?

Is there a reason you can't just login to your Google Voice account and see what phone number you have assigned?

SpringboroGuy

Good idea...  I just logged into my Phonepower account, and the phone number showing is NOT my home phone number.  So, it looks like my phone number was not ported to Phonepower at all a while back, and my phone number is still under Google Voice.  Do you agree?   

If that is the case, I can just cancel Phonepower since Google Voice is still around.  Then, I can just sign up a cheap plan for E911 service through CallCentric.

SpringboroGuy

In looking at https://voice.google.com/calls, all the incoming and outgoing calls were there so it does confirm all calls are through Google Voice, which is good news for me.  :-)