News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

If you experience this: no inbound call while outbound is working fine?

Started by silk, March 23, 2019, 06:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silk

Just want to share it here if you are also frustrated with the strange problem where calling out is fine but there is no incoming call, it goes directly to voice mail (because no one picks up).

I did device reset, recreated account, checked GV to verify settings are all correct... not realizing one problem which happened to be the root cause:

No forward-to phone number.

I have seen so many attempts to fix this problem on forums when I was desperately looking for a fix. Hope you can avoid the path and frustration I went through: check to make sure you have a forward-to number.

SteveInWA

Nope, that's not correct.  OBiTALK devices are SIP clients.  You can now use Google Voice without a PSTN forwarding phone number, so that wasn't your problem; whatever else you did to remove and replace your credentials fixed it. However it is a good idea to still have a PSTN forwarding phone number as an alternate means of receiving GV calls, and it serves as your method of authentication if you want to call into your GV number from somewhere else, to listen to your voicemail messages.

SageMajor

This sounds like one if 3 problems

SIP ALG is not writing the headers correctly  Disable sipALG

incoming NAT is not keeping the connection open  See if there is a nat keepalive setting

Device is on Do not disturb

silk

I think you guys are right, it could be caused by multiple reasons.

Here is how I come to the conclusion to "blame" missing phone number:

I have been using it fine with GV and CallCentric (old set up, had to have a number from NY to receive call)

Until CallCentric stopped providing FREE number.

I am not smart enough to go through advanced settings but to stick with the basic ones.

I did remove my account totally, reset the obi200, went through "new" setup process with GV. Then, as before, I can call out but no inbound call can ring the phone.

I made sure there is no call screening and the device is where the call should go to....

I then wonder why another GV with obi that I have does not have any problem at all?

So I compare both, found the only difference: somehow in the past I removed the "forward to" number (won't need it because it is forwarding to the CallCentric number).

Inbound start working right after I set up the forward to number.

So I think the "forward to" number is still needed (though not used anymore), can you guys verify that your GV setting does or does not have that number in settings?

NickinForum

Silk:  is the Forward-To-Number the number of the phone connected to our OBI-200 box?  My Inbound calls just mysteriously went on some unannounced vacation?  Is that F-T-C located in the Polycom Settings or the Google Voice Settings? Thank you! 

silk

Hi Nick,
Sorry for my late response.
It is the Forward-To-Number in Google Setting, not the obi dashboard or detail on obi site.

SteveInWA

OK, so now we have two users posting confusing information, and trying random things.

Facts:

• Google Voice is designed to be the single point of contact inbound phone number.  It is not a standalone app.  It's a service, just like Gmail or Docs or Calendar, that is tied to a Google/Gmail account.  Your OBiTALK device must be authenticated to the same Google account that hosts your GV inbound number, or it will not receive any inbound GV calls.
  • By default, inbound calls to a GV number will forward to any Firefox or Google Chrome browser that is signed into the correct Google account, and to all Android or iOS Google Voice mobile app clients, and to all linked 10-digit forwarding numbers, and to all properly authenticated OBiTALK devices.
  • ALL of those forwarding destinations receive forwarded calls independent of any other forwarding destination, as long as no other forwarding destination is improperly grabbing the calls by being forwarded elsewhere (to some subsequent DID or to a non-GV (carrier) voicemail box).
  • There is absolutely no difference in the way calls are forwarded to web browsers, Android/iOS apps, and OBiTALK devices.  ALL of these calls are forwarded using the same SIP VoIP platform, at the same time.

If you are having inbound call failures, you need to troubleshoot methodically, not scattershot.  To do this:

• Use Chrome Browser or Firefox on a laptop/desktop computer.  If using Chrome, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an "incognito" browsing window.  If using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a "private" browsing window.  This is crucial, to eliminate unwanted behavior from being signed into multiple Google accounts without realizing it.  Google allows multiple sign-ins on the same browser, via cookies.  Sign into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your inbound GV number, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings
  • Confirm that you see the correct inbound Google Voice number at the top of the page.  If you don't, then you are signed into the wrong Google account, or your number has been reclaimed. If you don't see the number, then close and re-open the incognito/private window, and sign into the correct Gmail account.  Repeat this procedure until you are now signed into the one, and only one, correct Google account.
  • Delete ALL forwarding destinations except the one labeled "Web".  Call your Google Voice number from some unrelated phone number.  The expected behavior is that the caller will hear about 25 seconds of ringing, and then their call will be sent to the Google Voice voicemail greeting.  The called party (you) will hear and see ringing on the web browser client.  Does this work?  If not, then stop here and report exactly what happens.
  • If it does work, then, using that same open incognito/private browser session, press Ctrl-T to open a new browser tab in that same window.  Go here:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev.  Click on your device, then click on the SP that holds the GV configuration.  Delete that SPx configuration, then start over from the beginning to add it back again.  Be very careful to confirm that you are authorizing the OBiTALK service to use the correct Google account.
  • Assuming that the configuration process completed successfully, then repeat the inbound call tests.  The called party (you) should now hear ringing on both your web browser and on the OBi-attached phone.  If this doesn't work, stop here and describe exactly what happened.
  • Assuming it worked successfully, then if, desired, link (add) one 10-digit forwarding telephone number.  This number must support conditional call forwarding, and you must enable that feature on that phone number's carrier.
  • Test inbound calling again.  What happens now?

silk

Very clear steps, concur all.

Q: "Assuming it worked successfully, then if, desired, link (add) one 10-digit forwarding telephone number..."

At this step, everything works, adding 1 or more numbers here is just to allow more numbers to ring, correct? Why this number must support conditional call forwarding? Thanks,

SteveInWA

Right, linking more 10-digit numbers will cause Google Voice to simultaneously ring all those numbers, in addition to the web client, the app clients, and the OBiTALK clients. 

Conditional call forwarding is necessary so that, when a call is sent to a linked number, and that number is busy or unanswered, the call will then be forwarded back to your Google Voice voicemail.  Otherwise, if you are on a call on that number, its own voicemail service will take the message.