News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is GV broken at the moment? OBi200

Started by jobu, March 23, 2019, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobu

Hoping for a little help in figuring out if there is a solution for the dead silence after dialing out?

My OBi200 has been disconnected for about a year.  I tried setting it up tonight but it didn't just connect to the old GV number so I worked through various issues and solved the problem with the following.

- Updated firmware,
- reconnected SP1 to my GV account in the OBI settings

The GV account is showing as connected and ready on OBI site.  I get a dial tone when I pick up the line so I dial the number and then it's dead silence on the line.  Nothing happens.  I read a few posts but it sounded like this was a 508 problem only.  So hoping someone can fill me in on what I'm missing.

SteveInWA

There is no doubt that, if you haven't used that device in a year, not only is that device's configuration completely incorrect, but you may not even have a working Google Voice phone number any longer.  Google completely replaced their Voice back-end infrastructure, requiring changes to OBiTALK devices.

Use a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, sign into the correct Gmail account that holds/held your Google Voice phone number, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.

Do you see your Google Voice phone number at the top of the page?  IF not, you are either signed into the wrong Google account or your number was reclaimed.  What happens when you call that number from some other phone number?  The expected behavior is that you, the caller, will hear some ringing and then it should go to your GV voicemail.

jobu

Hi and thanks Steve,

The google voice number is working.  I checked that the other day.  Left myself a voicemail, got an email notification.

Regarding the configuration issues, I was hoping the firmware update would've addressed changing the defaults.
Would you recommend a factory reset and re adding the device in OBI?

One caveat is that I moved the GV number from one gmail account to a second one.   I login to OBItalk.com with the old google account but connected the google voice number to the OBi200 via the new google account.  I didn't expect this would be an issue since obitalk.com is just a user account and should be unrelated to which Google Voice account I connect to the OBi200.

SteveInWA

OK, so the GV number still works.  That's great.  But, you've misunderstood how Google Voice works:  it is a service, just like Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Docs, Maps, etc.  All Google services are tied to a Google account (a Gmail address).  You might have signed into the OBiTALK web portal using some other/old Gmail address, but the actual Google Voice configuration is independent of the address you used to sign into your OBiTALK portal.

If your Google Voice phone number was transferred from abc@gmail.com to xyz@gmail.com, you need to replace your Google credentials on the OBiTALK portal.

So, at a minimum, sign into the portal.  Click on your OBi 200.  Click on the trash can icon to the right of the  SPx that you had set up with Google Voice.  Wait for the device to be remotely rebooted. 

Meanwhile, open a new tab in the same web browser (Ctrl-T).  Sign into the correct Gmail account that now holds the GV number.  It can be different than the one you used to sign into the portal.

After the device is back online, click on the SPx again, and follow the instructions to set up Google Voice.  When you get to the step where it pops up a window to show you your signed-in Gmail IDs, pick the correct one that holds your GV number, and complete the process.   It should now be able to make and receive calls.

If this doesn't work, then you need to factory-restore the device and start over from scratch.  It only takes about 10 minutes.  See my instructions here, starting with the bullet list:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

jobu

Ok, I already performed all the other steps before seeking help so I'll do a factory restore.  Thanks for the help.  Will post back with the results.

jobu2

Resolved with a factory reset and a 5 min wait.  Thanks for the help.

I also moved the device to a new obitalk account using the same gmail account the number is on.