News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi rings sometimes using google voice

Started by chief3202, September 21, 2011, 06:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief3202

Hello all!  I am using obi 110 with a netgear 3700 router.  The problem is that sometimes when a call comes through google voice, the obi will not ring. The inbound caller will hear the 5 rings and the call wil go into voicemail as its supposed to do, but will not ring at home. This happens periodically and I miss the call. My internet speed is 15mps and 3mps upload.  Further, frequently I have been experiencing call drops. When I call someone, the call last for 5 minutes and drops. I have to redial the call and then I can gab as long as I want.  The routers firmwire is up to date and I forward the ports as per the instructing found on this forum. I have plugged the obi directly into the modem and the same problem occurs.  Any suggestions?

Chief

QBZappy

chief3202,

For some reason routers seem to be a source of many problems concerning issues with the OBi. On this forum many people have installed Tomato firmware on their routers and then everything seems to work. I think your router model is supported by Tomato firmware. It might save you a lot of grief if you simply install what is arguably a superior firmware on the router and be done with these annoyances once and for all.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DaveSin

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you QBZappy, my the OP stated that he connected the OBi device directly to his modem, which would rule out the problem being his router.  That being said, I do not have any idea why he might be having this intermittent problem, unless his from time to time there is an intermittent glitch with his ISP broadband signal or a change in his Public WAN IP.

Is their a Static IP assigned to the OBi?  Are you using GV as the provider (incoming/outgoing)?  Are there any pattern to this intermittent problem or is it purely random?

Quote from: QBZappy on September 21, 2011, 07:30:22 AM
chief3202,

For some reason routers seem to be a source of many problems concerning issues with the OBi. On this forum many people have installed Tomato firmware on their routers and then everything seems to work. I think your router model is supported by Tomato firmware. It might save you a lot of grief if you simply install what is arguably a superior firmware on the router and be done with these annoyances once and for all.

QBZappy

DaveSin,

You are correct. I reread the post. He did mention that he connected to the modem directly. That would rule out the router.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

chief3202

Qzappy, I searched the internet for tomato firmware and I could not find info regarding the firmware being compatable with the netgear wndr3700 model.  The information that I had found was compatable with linksys routers.  ANy suggestions?

RonR

Quote from: chief3202 on September 21, 2011, 06:31:50 AM
I have plugged the obi directly into the modem and the same problem occurs.

If bypassing your router doesn't correct the problem, new firmware in the router isn't going to correct it either.

You might consider doing a continuous ping of Google Voice:

C:\>ping /t 74.125.157.125

and see if the path ever fails, especially when calls go to voicemail or are dropped unexpectedly.

To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;
To stop - type Control-C.

QBZappy

chief3202,

Since you plugged the OBi directly into the modem, the router does not seem to be the problem. However if you are still interested in installing an alternate firmware on the Netgear WNDR3700 here is some info which might be useful.

It seems your router is not supported by Tomato firmware afterall.
See:
http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-types
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=54934

However DDWRT might be a good alternative.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700