News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dial one number, but it rings a different number

Started by SJMaye61, March 27, 2019, 05:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJMaye61

I recently switched to GV and OBi for my home phone landline.  Everything is working great except for when my father calls me.  When he calls my GV OBi home phone for whatever reason the call rings my cell phone.

What I have checked-

- His VOIP company states there are no settings from his end that would cause this

- My GV OBi home phone does not register the call as coming in at all.

- My GV OBi home phone settings does not reference my cell phone at all.

- My cell phone is on a separate Google Voice account. 

- My GV cell phone account does show the call coming in to my cell phone Google Voice number

- I have gone to my father's home and physically dialed my GV OBi home phone myself and my cell phone rung.  Would not have ever believed it.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Again, sorry to use a personal message. 

drgeoff

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 27, 2019, 05:18:02 AM
I recently switched to GV and OBi for my home phone landline.  Everything is working great except for when my father calls me.  When he calls my GV OBi home phone for whatever reason the call rings my cell phone.

What I have checked-

- His VOIP company states there are no settings from his end that would cause this

- My GV OBi home phone does not register the call as coming in at all.

- My GV OBi home phone settings does not reference my cell phone at all.

- My cell phone is on a separate Google Voice account. 

- My GV cell phone account does show the call coming in to my cell phone Google Voice number

- I have gone to my father's home and physically dialed my GV OBi home phone myself and my cell phone rung.  Would not have ever believed it.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Again, sorry to use a personal message. 
Are you saying that this happens only on calls from your father's number?  All calls from other numbers do ring your OBi and not your cellphone.

SteveInWA

I thought I previously tried to explain how Google Voice works, but you have been asking a lot of extremely basic questions that you could learn by reading through the Google Voice help pages.  You need to have an understanding of how the service works, to use it effectively.  It is NOT a bare-bones telephone service.

Inbound calls to a Google Voice phone number forward to other destinations.  Those destinations include:

• Up to six ordinary 10-digit US PSTN telephone numbers (either land line or mobile)
  • Any Android or iOS device running the official Google Voice apps
  • Any Google Chrome Browser or Firefox browser signed into the Google account
  • Any OBiTALK device authorized by you to use your Google account

So, you need to manage these forwarding destinations on the Google Voice settings page for your Google account:  https://voice.google.com/settings

SJMaye61

drgeoff - Yes.  Only from my father.  That is why I think this is totally weird.  So far I have not had any other person call and this happen.  It happens everytime my father calls my home phone.

Steve-  I understand what you are saying and I understand about how GV is forwarding calls, but this situation just does not fit.  Below is a snapshot of my GV home phone landline settings.  There is no reference to my cell phone at all.  And when my father calls my home phone and it rings my cell phone there is no call logged on my GV home phone call logs.

Here are my setting for the GV OBi landline.  There is no reference to my cell phone at all.

Further-  Below are the settings for my GV Account used for my cell phone.  It is a totally separate account from the one above.  When my father calls my GV landline it rings my GV cell phone account.  As mentioned above these calls do not show on my GV landline account logs.  They do show up on my GV cell phone account logs.

I will admit I am still very new to GV and OBi, but I don't think this is just a matter of not understanding the settings.  Or am I wrong?

If we cannot find the reason for this I have a workaround.  Won't fix the problem, but I could live with it.

SteveInWA

Your use of terminology is so confusing that it's impossible to understand what you are doing and what is failing.

Don't use the term "home phone".  It's ambiguous and could be either a phone plugged into an OBiTALK device or simply another telephone number.

And now, you've introduced another piece of confusion:  apparently you have two different Google Voice numbers AND one Callcentric number.

Google Voice is the service.  The OBiTALK box is the device.   When somebody calls the Google Voice number, it forwards to whatever forwarding destinations you configured on the Google Voice settings page.  If you are detouring calls through a Callcentric number, then you must disable forwarding to the OBiTALK device, or else you'll have double ringing (or possibly no ringing).

SJMaye61

Steve,

Thanks for your input.  I apologize if you find my explanation confusing.  I guess I don't know the "lingo".  I read and reread your last comment.  As you can see in my screen shots the GV and OBi are configured as you stated.  Thus, no reason for it to do what it is doing. 

Let's just leave this on alone.  I will use my workaround.  Problem solved.