News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI212 - phones connected to this device won't ring

Started by BLynnL, March 28, 2019, 08:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLynnL

Just set up my obi212 device.

1) I can make outgoing calls with Google Voice - great!!
2) I want my incoming calls to go to my existing landline phone (which is now connected to obi212). The calls do not ring on this phone. Other phones that I have in the house that are not connected to my obi do ring.

I have searched for a while now and I can't find any instructions on how to do this. Thx for any help.

azrobert

You shouldn't have to do anything for it to ring, the default is to ring. Does the OBi212 ring with an incoming GV call? Do any of the LEDs on the OBi212 flash with an incoming landline call? If the LEDs are flashing, can you answer the call even if it's not ringing?

I have an OBi110, so the following might be slightly different.
Check the Line Port voltage. Enter OBi Expert from the Dashboard. Click on the gear ICON to the right of your OBi212 then select OBi Expert Config, confirm and select Enter OBi Expert. Click on Status then click Phone Status.

My TipRingVoltage for the Line Port is -47v
When I disconnect the line port is shows 0v

If you have 0v then you have a bad cord, you're not connected correctly or your OBi212 is defective.
Do you get dial tone if you connect a phone directly to the same jack as the OBI212?

BLynnL

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

As I was going through your troubleshooting tips, I came upon your last question - which solved the problem. When you suggested I try connecting a phone directly to the phone line on the obi device, I realized that I was sent the wrong model - I ordered (on amazon) the obi212 model and received the obi202 one.

See the link below (looks like I'm not the only one):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075839DD6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was puzzled right from the beginning (when I did the connections) as to how I could receive incoming calls to my phone without being connected to my "outside" phone line - but hey - what do I know??

I see there is a new device obi312 (replacing the obi212) - prices look good till I see the shipping costs to Canada.

azrobert

The OBi3xx models are not new. They are basically the same as OBi2xx models, but do NOT support Google Voice.

BLynnL

Good to know. Thank you so much for the clarification - one website that was selling them stated that they were a replacement for the obi212. So the obi212 looks like my best option then.

Again, thank you so much for your help and the very quick replies!!