News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiHai200 wifi adapter

Started by BethC, March 29, 2019, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BethC

I finally got the dongle installed and did the voice test on the phone.  When I tried unplugging the ethernet cable it went dead.  Is the blue light supposed to stay on or off after installation?  Mine is off.  Do I need to retry the whole thing again?  I really need to get my phone working through wifi so any suggestions appreciated.

SteveInWA

Hi:  which dongle did you buy?  It should be the OBiWiFi 5G.  If so:

• Plug your device back into an Ethernet cable on your LAN.
  • I assume that you already added the device to the OBiTALK dashboard (https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev).  If not, do so now, and give it enough time for the portal to remotely reboot it.
  • Click on the name of your device (e.g. OBi 200) on the portal.  Click "OBi Expert Configuration", and click past the various warnings, until you are on the Expert page.
  • Click OBiWiFi Configuration-->WiFi Settings.
  • Manually enable the WiFi network by check-marking the "Enable" parameter if it is not already checked.  Manually edit and add your WiFi router or access point's SSID and WiFi password.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Submit" button.
  • Wait patiently for the device to be remotely re-configured.  You should now be able to unplug the Ethernet cable.  If it doesn't connect after following these steps, unplug both the Ethernet and power cables, then plug just the power cable back in and let it boot up, and see if it connects.

BethC

Thanks Steve for your clear instructions.  However, it won't allow me to type in anything in the Access Point boxes.  I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go to Xfinity :'(

Taoman

Quote from: BethC on March 30, 2019, 09:57:13 AM
Thanks Steve for your clear instructions.  However, it won't allow me to type in anything in the Access Point boxes.

Which is why his graphic said in big, bold, red letters:

Un-check BOTH boxes to enable editing the values.

Danc

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 29, 2019, 07:49:24 PM
Hi:  which dongle did you buy?  It should be the OBiWiFi 5G.  If so:

• Plug your device back into an Ethernet cable on your LAN.
  • I assume that you already added the device to the OBiTALK dashboard (https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev).  If not, do so now, and give it enough time for the portal to remotely reboot it.
  • Click on the name of your device (e.g. OBi 200) on the portal.  Click "OBi Expert Configuration", and click past the various warnings, until you are on the Expert page.
  • Click OBiWiFi Configuration-->WiFi Settings.
  • Manually enable the WiFi network by check-marking the "Enable" parameter if it is not already checked.  Manually edit and add your WiFi router or access point's SSID and WiFi password.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Submit" button.
  • Wait patiently for the device to be remotely re-configured.  You should now be able to unplug the Ethernet cable.  If it doesn't connect after following these steps, unplug both the Ethernet and power cables, then plug just the power cable back in and let it boot up, and see if it connects.

Problem:  cannot setup formerly-working 2.4GHz OBiwifi adapter on brand new Polycon OBi200, with latest firmware.
Symptoms: 
1) when try to use OBiwifi_setup, several different laptops cannot connect b/c Out of Range, despite being only inches from OBi
2) when I instead setup via ethernet connection, as suggested in this thread, fails after removing ethernet cable, giving verbal error message:  IP address not available, review FAQ, Reason 00, which I cannot find. Unplugging OBi doesn't help.
3) I have also followed similar alt-setup instructions given here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12414.0
4) if it helps, the blue OBiwifi light is flashing

Questions:
1. were THESE instructions ONLY for a 5 GHz wifi adapter?
2.  do I need to possibly undo any (other) long-ago changes I made (and maybe forgot) somewhere in configuring wifi adapter in the past?  How?
3.  Any other suggestions?

SteveInWA

The instructions are universal; they should work for the 2.4GHz dongle, assuming it is an official "OBiWiFi" adapter, not some other brand.

I suggest restoring your OBi 200 to factory defaults, then setting it up via an Ethernet cable, confirm that works, then set up the WiFi adapter.  If it doesn't work, then either it's defective, or, more likely, you are not following the instructions properly.