News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there any way to connect an Amazon Echo Dot to Google Voice?

Started by Revived, April 03, 2019, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revived

I'm not finding any specific info on this while searching so I thought I'd ask here.

SteveInWA

Hunh?  Connect it how?  Why?  What are you dreaming this would accomplish?

Revived

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 03, 2019, 01:38:23 PM
What are you dreaming this would accomplish?

To make hands free calls. It's possible with cell phones so I wondered if there might be a way with GV.

N7AS

I don't think you can connect Google Voice to the Dot, but you can place phone calls to your contacts and to other numbers as well.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

Nope, you can't do that.  Consider that Google and Amazon have competing "smart home" product lines, which (because the companies are competitors) don't work with each others' products.

You can certainly make hands-free calls from the various Google products, such as the Google Home, Google Home Mini, and the smart displays from Google, Lenovo, etc.  Pretty much every product that includes Google Assistant can make calls using a Google Voice number as the caller ID.

Or, if you want a higher-call-quality solution, buy an OBiTALK device.

bitstopjoe

I make calls Via Google Voice on my Echo Spot and Echo Dot. So yes it DOES work.
I dont recall exactly how I set it up to do that, but I am sure it happened during the install. I also know on the Alexa App on my I-pad I had an option to import my Google contacts.
I used it all the time when my OBi 110 stopped being supported by GV. I did this for many months until I saw a good deal on the OBi200.
So in closing, YES, it works. Oh, the voice quality on the Dot Gen 2 sucked, whereas the quality on the Spot was AMAZING.

Joe Sica

UPDATE: https://www.techhive.com/article/3289390/how-to-make-voice-and-video-calls-using-alexa-and-your-amazon-echo.html

Revived

Quote from: bitstopjoe on April 04, 2019, 04:18:06 AM
I make calls Via Google Voice on my Echo Spot and Echo Dot. So yes it DOES work.
I dont recall exactly how I set it up to do that, but I am sure it happened during the install. I also know on the Alexa App on my I-pad I had an option to import my Google contacts.
I used it all the time when my OBi 110 stopped being supported by GV. I did this for many months until I saw a good deal on the OBi200.
So in closing, YES, it works. Oh, the voice quality on the Dot Gen 2 sucked, whereas the quality on the Spot was AMAZING.

Joe Sica

UPDATE: https://www.techhive.com/article/3289390/how-to-make-voice-and-video-calls-using-alexa-and-your-amazon-echo.html

Please reply if you can recall the steps you took to get it working. That techhive article doesn't mention GV specifically so I've reached an impasse.

bitstopjoe

I am pretty sure during the setup all I did was import my contacts from my Google account. When I need to make a call, all I say is CALL MOM, or CALL BOB, and it uses my GV contacts to make the calls. I will look for more info for you and let you know.
Did you try just saying, Alexa call xxx-xxx-xxxx?  I do that as well.

Joe

SteveInWA

No, you didn't make calls on an Alexa powered device using Google Voice, and no, you can't.

As I said:  the two companies are competitors.  Their products do not inter-operate, period.
What you can do with Alexa devices is to make outbound calls that will spoof your mobile phone's caller ID.  This is not using that carrier's network.  It a VoIP call, where the ITSP is ... Amazon.

So, in theory, you can update your Amazon profile to set your own phone number to be your Google Voice number, and then calls from, for example, your Dot will show your GV CID.  The calls are not going through Google's network at all.

You cannot receive inbound calls via an Amazon Alexa device.