News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SOLVED - The number you dialed was rejected by the service provider, reason 604.

Started by Neolution, April 16, 2019, 09:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neolution

SOLVED
Problem was partly user error (failure to fully review notes and double check changes to confirm they are correct) and partly a glitch with how the Obihai system works (configuration changes not being saved via OBiTalk Expert Configuration Menu or the device Web Configuration GUI).

In summary, the problem is if you are not careful with how you make changes to the configuration of devices (via ObiTalk portal or the device web GUI), those changes can randomly switch back to default settings. I can see how "Newbies" can get quickly frustrated with setting up Obihai devices with third party SIP service. Addition information in the message replies below.

Problem: Unable to make incoming calls to SIP numbers (edit), but incoming calls to Google Voice and all outgoing calls work fine. Incoming callers receive error message: "The number you dialed was rejected by the service provider, reason 604."

Have five Obihai devices setup with Flowroute service. These devices where setup at two different locations, but have have some things in common. Both locations are using Obihai devices (one OBi200, four OBi202), Flowroute SIP, and Carolina Connect broadband service.

On Friday (Apr. 12th, 2019), all devices suddenly were unable to receive inbound calls. The initial step to troubleshoot the problem was to reach out to Flowroute and verify the status of their service. Flowroute reported that there were no issues on their end and the error they are receiving while trying to connect to the Obihai is that the device are not available (error 404).

The next step was to ensure all devices were running the latest firmware and manually updated the device to 3.2.2.5921. Still having issues, so I connected one of the devices to another broadband service provider (Comporium) and was briefly able to receive incoming call. But that success was short lived and started experiencing the incoming call issue on that device after a few hours.

Updated/verified that the Flowroute inbound route matched the current IP addresses for all the devices. Still unable to receive inbound calls. Reached out to both broadband providers, they report no issues on they end and verified that the SIP ports are not being blocked.

Factory reset one of the devices and configured it with a Google Voice number on line #1 and Flowroute SIP on line #2. The device still cannot (edit) receive calls on the Flowroute SIP.

I can expect one device to have issues, but when all five devices stop receiving incoming calls at the same time, it leads me to believe that it is more than a simple user end problem or I am overlooking something. The final troubleshooting steps based on the recommended step on Obihai support site which include the following:

1. Check that all OBi devices are online by placing a test call to: **9 222 222 222. (edit)
2. Checked device status on ObiTalk portal. All devices show a green status light, devices with Google Voice are connected, devices with Flowroute SIP are registered.
3. To verify that devices can be accessed remotely, enabled admin access from WAN on one device and able to login into Obi202 web portal via a device on a different ISP. So port 80 is not being blocked but not sure about the other ports.
4. Verified access to OBi Expert Configuration Menu on each Obihai device from ObiTalk portal.

I am at a loss on the next troubleshooting steps and welcome any advice.

drgeoff

You have written *9 222 222 222 in two places and **9 222 222 222 inthe third.  Please confirm that you are dialling the two *s as that is the only version which should reach the echo test.

if you are in fact correctly dialling **9 222 222 222, failure to reach the echo test is fairly fundamental.  That call attempt goes directly to a server run by, or on behalf of, Obihai and does not use any facilities provided by GV or Flowroute.  Similarly calls to or from your GV numbers do not use Obihai or Flowroute and calls to or from your Flowroute numbers do not use Obihai or GV.

Please explain what you mean by "Updated/verified that the Flowroute inbound route matched the current IP addresses for all the devices."

Neolution

@drgeoff,

Thanks for correcting me and identifying my error. Updated the original post (knew what I was suppose to dial for echo test, but mistakenly dial *9 222 222 222). Double checked all devices using the correct prefix and the echo tests were successful.

As for Flowroute and your question about inbound routes. Flowroute support states that "by default, DIDs route via SIP registration. However, they recommends associating your DIDs with your inbound routes for service reliability." So on the Flowroute portal, I associated the active DIDs with the current public IP and port for each Obihai device. Since I made a minor error with the echo test, let me double check my inbound routes to make I did not make another mistake during a moment of frustration.

Neolution

Based on my troubleshooting of the issue, the information below appears to be have fixed the problem for now. Hopefully this will help someone else.

If someone is trying to setup a Obihai device with Flowroute and follows the instructions provided by Flowroute, you will make all your changes via the device Web Configuration GUI. If you only have one DID on your Flowroute account and only using one Obihai device, this should not be a problem since you will probably be using the default settings. However, if you have multiple DIDs on your Flowroute account and several Obihai devices (some on the same network), you will need to setup custom configurations for each Flowroute DID and Obihai device.

To ensure your custom settings remain in place, make sure you have unchecked "Default" in the device Web Configuration GUI for your custom settings. Also make sure that "Device Default" and "OBiTALK Settings" are unchecked in OBiTalk Expert Configuration Menu. Based on my recent experience, I notice some of the changes made in the device Web Configuration GUI would reset to the factory port defaults and conflict with the other devices on the same LAN and/or not match the custom Flowroute inbound routes.

Flowroute Instructions on how to setup Obihai devices (last updated on MAR 20, 2019 08:11AM PDT):
https://support.flowroute.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1849293-obihai-obi202-ata-configuration-guide

drgeoff

Quote from: Neolution on April 16, 2019, 02:52:54 PM
Based on my troubleshooting of the issue, the information below appears to be have fixed the problem for now. Hopefully this will help someone else.

If someone is trying to setup a Obihai device with Flowroute and follows the instructions provided by Flowroute, you will make all your changes via the device Web Configuration GUI. If you only have one DID on your Flowroute account and only using one Obihai device, this should not be a problem since you will probably be using the default settings. However, if you have multiple DIDs on your Flowroute account and several Obihai devices (some on the same network), you will need to setup custom configurations for each Flowroute DID and Obihai device.

To ensure your custom settings remain in place, make sure you have unchecked "Default" in the device Web Configuration GUI for your custom settings. Also make sure that "Device Default" and "OBiTALK Settings" are unchecked in OBiTalk Expert Configuration Menu. Based on my recent experience, I notice some of the changes made in the device Web Configuration GUI would reset to the factory port defaults and conflict with the other devices on the same LAN and/or not match the custom Flowroute inbound routes.

Flowroute Instructions on how to setup Obihai devices (last updated on MAR 20, 2019 08:11AM PDT):
https://support.flowroute.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1849293-obihai-obi202-ata-configuration-guide
You should never use both the portal and local methods to configure settings. One or the other for everything. And if you elect to use local, you MUST disable Obitalk provisioning. Else local settings get overwritten by the portal.