News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recommended service provider

Started by paulsaz, April 17, 2019, 11:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulsaz

What are your opinions on the best provider that works with the OBI202? I have google voice on 3 of the lines, but really like Name Caller ID, so I use phonepower on the other port. Phonepower works ok, but the website is very slow on call logs, forwarding, etc. I just need basic service with Name Caller ID, forwarding, voicemail, etc. I use under 1000 minutes per month and very seldom would I call International. So can anyone recommend a different provider? or should I just stick with phonepower?

Stu-be

I have a bigger question.  CAN you stick with Phone Power even if you wish to?  I see where they are no longer a service provider for OBi.  I am of the understanding that when my $59.95 yearly subscription expires on May 8, 2019 it will no longer be automatically renewed as has been the case in years past.

Please let me know what you find out. I have put this question in a post on this Forum previously, and have yet to get a reply.

Are you saying that if I decide to go to 100% Google Voice service, rather than "tricking" a different phone number through a different service, I will no longer get Name Caller I.D?  Who to use then?  You ask a very good question.  I hope someone who knows will answers it.

SteveInWA

I suspect nobody answered the Phonepower question because we don't work for Phonepower, and a knowledgeable PP customer hasn't read/replied.

Remember:  having an OBi-specific plan is different from simply using the service on an OBiTALK device.  Just because they may no longer offer a dedicated/discounted plan for OBiTALK users, doesn't mean that you can't use PP with any ATA in general.  In other words, they offer a Bring Your Own Device plan, which will work with nearly all brands of SIP-standard ATAs and IP phones, including the OBi 200.

I am guessing you didn't even bother to look at PP's website, which would have answered your questions.

https://www.phonepower.com/usa_canada_calling_plans.aspx

If you're satisfied with the quality of their service, then their term-contract pricing is excellent.  Their per-month/no-contract pricing is competitive, but you can do better.

With regard to Google Voice:  no, it does not offer caller ID name.

With regard to other service providers, many of us here use Callcentric or voip.ms.  Both have been in business for a very long time, are very reliable, are affordable, and offer plenty of features.

I'm a Callcentric customer, so I'll do the shopping for you:  CC offers a la carte rate plans separately, for inbound calling and outbound calling.  So, you have to pick one of each.

The plans include CNAM, E911, and all the other typical calling features, like voicemail, IVR, hunt groups, simultaneous ring, etc.  There is no contract, and you can add, delete or change services at any time.  You could start with a cheaper plan and upgrade later if you need more calling minutes, or the reverse, if you are consistently using fewer minutes.

For example: 

1000 minutes of outbound calling per month is $12.95/month (includes E911)  500 minutes/month is $6.95, and you may find that it's plenty.  120 minutes/month is $1.95.  You can certainly provision an OBiTALK device to use both CC and Google Voice, if you want to make free domestic outbound calls via GV, but you need at least the minimum outbound CC rate plan to have E911.

CC unlimited inbound calling is $5.95/month.  You can also pay only a $1.95/monthly fee + per-minute charges if you don't receive a lot of calls.  If you don't care about having a phone number in an exchange near your physical location, you can get a NY State number from CC with unlimited inbound for $1/month.

So, a 1000/month outbound + unlimited inbound bundle would be $18.90/month, but personally, I'd go with the 500 min/month + unlimited inbound, for $12.90/month.

paulsaz

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am leaning on going with Callcentric for inbound calls forwarded from google voice, and using GV for outbound calls. I used Callcentric and a NY number before I went with PP, I don't think they were offering local numbers at the time.

I'm not sure if PP is going to raise the obi rate or not. I was told if I ported my phone number in, I would have to go to a new plan. I like PP, but their website is so slow to open call logs, voice mails, etc. Does anyone have an opinion on the CC website vs PP?

SteveInWA

If you've already used both companies' services, why are you asking us?  Simply compare their website's performance and features for yourself.  And, again, if you want pricing information regarding Phonepower, contact them.

paulsaz

I signed up for the $1.00 plan at Callcentric, their website is much faster than PhonePower, the calls show up immediately in their call log. As far as I know, PhonePower is keeping current obi customers on the $59.99 plan unless you make changes to your account.

Taoman

Quote from: paulsaz on April 19, 2019, 10:30:27 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the CC website vs PP?

In my view, there is no comparison. I used PP for 1 year. Callcentric outshines PhonePower in every respect I can think of except perhaps price. However, if you are going to combine Google Voice in conjunction with Callcentric it isn't even a contest. It is an absolute no-brainer to go with Callcentric/Google Voice and dump PhonePower.

As far as your specific question, again there is no comparison. Callcentric's web portal is the gold standard for all full featured VoIP providers and I've tried most of the well known and respected providers. And PhonePower's tier 1 tech support is mostly a joke. You'll occasionally get a good one but my experience has been they are mostly just script readers. And during the 1 year I used PP I had to contact PP support several times mostly due to registration issues. I've used Callcentric for at least 5 years and haven't had to contact CC support a single time.*

*Admittedly, I am much more knowledgeable now than when I was using PhonePower.

Jess302

Quote from: paulsaz on April 17, 2019, 11:00:24 PM
What are your opinions on the best provider that works with the OBI202? I have google voice on 3 of the lines, but really like Name Caller ID, so I use phonepower on the other port. Phonepower works ok, but the website is very slow on call logs, forwarding, etc. I just need basic service with Name Caller ID, forwarding, voicemail, etc. I use under 1000 minutes per month and very seldom would I call International. So can anyone recommend a different provider? or should I just stick with phonepower?

The only one I can suggest is have the VoIP service provider )